Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't import from CSV or TXT into ACT! 11

Can't import from CSV or TXT into ACT! 11

So, I'm the new IT guy for a company and admit that I have never touched this program before. The version in question is ACT! 11.1.183.0. Here's the deal:

The database is shared off of a server with a few different people accessing it. After moving all these computers to a new location and joining to a domain, one user all of a sudden cannot import anything. I'm not sure if the timing was a coincidence or not.  All the share permissions are still there and he has read/write permission to everything.

Any time he tries to import (he generally imports from csv), it will bring up the progress bar, say "Preparing to Import..." for a few seconds, and then disappear. There are no errors and nothing new shows up. He can go to another computer, do the same thing, and it works fine(and shows up on his machine when he goes back to it). I'm not sure at this point if he's using the same username when he goes to another computer, but I'll find out. 

The files are not corrupt. I even tried creating a new csv, creating a tab delimited, turning off duplicate checking, and everything else I can think of, but no go. 

Does anyone have any direction for me? I'm lost.

Re: Can't import from CSV or TXT into ACT! 11

Hello,

Are you able to import into a local database?  You can either test with the demo database or create a new database.  Generally its best practice to do any imports and administrator tasks on the server itself to avoid issues like this.

Thanks for the reply!

I'll try importing to a local database and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

So, I tried opening the demo database and it said it couldn't open it, or couldn't connect to the server (I was opening the local .pad file in My documents), something like that.

I tried to create a new database and it said it couldn't contact the SQL server. 

I uninstalled ACT all together and reinstalled. The SQL installation started by ACT failed,but the rest of the ACT install went through fine. Then I installed the latest version of SQL 2005 Express, updated ACT with all the updates. I tried again, but got all the same errors. 

Any ideas?

Uninstall ACT! and all SQL components, reboot and attempt to install ACT!. 
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't import from CSV or TXT into ACT!