Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't get program to open

VAS

Can't get program to open

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place or not. What I'm having trouble doing is getting our ACT version 2007 9.0 to open. It comes up that "database server is available or firewall needs to be disabled".  I have turned off the firewall so it's not that.  This problem started after another program was installed. When this other program was installed, when we tried to use it to open a file it would always use the ACT software to open it up with. We have since removed that program but the problem with ACT remains. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated because I'm not very good with computers just learning.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Can't get program to open

Hi,

It sounds like the ACT7 SQL instance is not started.

To check this, go to Start then Run and type in Service.msc

Once the services window comes up, scroll down until you find SQL Server (ACT7). The Status should say Started and Sutomatic. If it is not Started, right click on it and select Start. Once that is done, try to open ACT.
VAS

Hi, Thanks for posting & I did try that but after I type that in & click OK it says "Windows cannot find "service.msc". Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file, click the start button, and then click search." I'm not sure if this will help or not but I'm still lost & more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You
Nickel Super Contributor

its services.msc not service.msc

Tom
VAS

Thanks I see what I did wrong, I got into it & started it but it still won't open. It says " The database VANCES could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."  Any thoughts???

Thanks
Copper Contributor

Hello,

If you open your PAD file ( "mydatabasename.PAD" ) using Notepad, where is it pointing in the location="" property?  Is it the correct LOCAL path?

Have you tried opening the .ADF file of the database directly, rather than using the PAD file?  Open ACT!, do File | Open Database..., then change the Files of Type from PAD to ADF.  Find your database and open the ADF file directly.  This should force generation of a new PAD file with the correct path in the location setting.

Of course if the PAD file looks fine with a correct local path, this probably isn't your problem...  Smiley Wink

HTH,
jason
Jason Sellers
ACT! Engineer 2000-2007