Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't get past security challenge.

Can't get past security challenge.

I am trying to restore an ACT 11 Pro database. I am using this ACT at home where there is no security risk. Besides which my ACT data would be a yawn to anyone else. So, to save time, I have no User ID or Username entered. ie. I simply hit enter with blank fields when the challenge pops up.

I can't enter blank fields in the restore security challenge popup. The enter capability is grayed until an entry is made in a field.I I have found my Username in the actdiag logs, but it doesn't work.

Does anyone have a solution?

Any help will be appreciated. 

Dan

Re: Can't get past security challenge.

Hi Dan!

Can you provide us with the exact error message you're receiving when you try to login to your database?

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

Hi Elise,

I actually don't get an error message because I can't get far enough to make an error. i.e. When I bring up the Restore challenge screen, it is grayed. It will only become active if an entry is made in a field. And since I don 't use a username or password, I have nothing to enter. A bit of a catch 22. I have tried the user name from the actdiag log, but to no avail.

Dan

Challenge popup.jpg

When an Act! database is created by a user, a username is required to be defined by that user, but a password is not required. As such, every Act! database has a username but may not necessarily have a password. If you enter into the Username field what you believe could be the username that was set up when you created the database and leave the password blank, the OK button should become enabled and you should be able to click it. From that point, it should either log you into the database, or provide an error saying that it could not authenticate the user, which means that the username/password combination is incorrect. If you are not sure what the correct username/password combination is, the only way to retrieve the information is by requesting a password reset, which can be done by following the information in this article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14150

If, after you enter what you believe could be your username, the OK button is still grayed out, you might try to close out of Act! and run it as an administrator by right-clicking the program icon and choosing Run As Administrator, then seeing if it will allow you to proceed.

Also, based off of the appearance of the login window, it looks like you might be on Windows 8, which is not compatible with Act! 2011, which could also potentially cause some problems in regards to program functionality. 

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com

I definitely am running Windows 10, and running as admin doesn't work.
When I enter the Username from the Actdiag log, I still get  "Invalid Username or Password".

Any other thoughts?

Copper Contributor

ACT 11 and Windows 10 don't play well together. . . You'll need to upgrade to ACT 17 or higher for Win 10 compatibility. . .