Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't get SQL working with Act 2010

Can't get SQL working with Act 2010

I was running Act 2010 on a Win 7 64bit system and started having issues with not being able to open my database unless I opened it right after a reboot.  In looking into the issue, found I had SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008 both running my instance of Act at the same time.  As I tried to resolve the issue, I have uninstalled Act 2010 and reinstalled as well the various versions of SQL with no luck.  I can't seem to get SQL server to run my instance of Act even though I have tried manually configuring numerous times - The instance just does not show up.  I seem to always have something crash on the SQL side(I have tried SQL 2005 Express - included with Act 2010) as well as SQL 2008 R2 Express.  I believe I have read every Sage KB article related to manually configuring SQL Instance, as well as clean uninstall, as well as manual uninstall of Act, but still not having any luck. I also tried restoring to when my act was partially working(right after reboot) but can't now

Not sure what to do at this point, aside from reinstalling Win 7 from scratch, which I am not willing to do for Act. I want to get rid of SQL Completely on my system but when I follow the steps there always seems to be something left behind which causes an error with SQL.

First question is what version of SQL should I be running on a 64bit Win 7 system, with Act 2010, which is 32 bit.  I tried SQL 2005 Express, but keep getting an issue saying ASP .net is not registered with Microsoft. I then tried SQL 2008 Express and it said it had a problem reading a file even though it was there.

Any thoughts on how I can start all over again installing like the first day I bought Act  - Truely!!

Thanks,

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't get SQL working with Act 2010

ACT! 2010 was designed to work with SQL Server 2005.  

You are on the right track attempting to install SQL manually (independent of ACT!), that helps to better isolate the issue.  To remove SQL completely requires working with the registry.  If you are comfortable working in the registry, here are some general steps for removing the SQL entries. 

Disclaimer: If you remove the wrong entries it could cause other issues with the computer.  Having someone knowledgeable in the manual removal of the Microsoft SQL Server program is recommended.

- unisntall ACT! and SQL components through Programs and Features

- rename or delete the Program File folders for ACT! and SQL (C:\program files (x86)\act  and C:\program files (x86)\microsoft sql server)

- open registry > make backup (Export > Export Range = All)

- under HK Current User > Software > Wow6432node > Microsoft - look for and remove keys for SQL (Microsoft SQL*, MSSQL*, and SQL*)

- under HK Local Machine > Software > Wow6432node > Microsoft - look for and remove keys for SQL (Microsoft SQL*, MSSQL*, and SQL*)

- under HK Current User > System > Controlset* > Services - look for and remove keys for SQL (Microsoft SQL*, MSSQL*, and SQL*)

- reboot the computer

- attempt to install SQL 2005 manually

Again, these are general steps and each computer will have a varying set of files/entries due to the state of the SQL installation.  Only if you are comfortable with the registry should you attempt to remove these items.

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks - Unfortunately I had done all that already and upon reinstall, still could not get it to work.  For the SQL Installation, I get an error saying Asp .net is not regitered with Microsoft - I have no clue why it would say this.  I went through the process of creating a manual instance of ACT, but still no instance shows up. 

Platinum Super Contributor

Yea, unfortunately this is beyond our knowledge of SQL and ASP.  I've Googled the message and most issues were for Server 2003 and XP OS's. Since ASP is tied into IIS, you may want to try disabling IIS through the 'Turn Windows Features On or Off' option, reboot and then re-enable the option.  You could also do the same with .Net Framework 3.5, it's now a part of the Windows 7 OS so you can't just uninstall and reinstall it.  Beyond that it will take someone with more specific knowledge.

Greg Martin
Sage