Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't get Act.Outlook.Service.exe to run

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Can't get Act.Outlook.Service.exe to run

We have two computers running on a home network, both are running ACT! 2013 Pro v. 15.1.108.0, MS Outlook 2007, and Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.  We recently discovered that both computers stopped automatically attaching emails to ACT sent via Outlook about two weeks ago, after working fine for years.  We also cannot manually attach emails to ACT either, though the "Attach to ACT! Contacts" in the Outlook drop-down menu appears like it is working normally (except the emails don't show up in the Contacts' Histories).  I read KB Article 19948 about this, and the first go-to suggestion is to see if Act.Outlook.Service is running in Task Manager > Processes.  I checked, and it is not running.  It is selected to run at startup under msconfig > startup, but it does not appear in task manager.  So, I went to Programs(x86) > ACT > ACTforWindows, and tried running Act.Outlook.Service.exe from there.  I tried both double-clicking and "Run as Administrator", both with the same null result.  I don't get any messages or dialog boxes, good or bad.  The Act.Outlook.Service process still does not appear in Task Manager.

We haven't changed anything in our configuration, and everything else looks good, I verified everything else suggested in KB 19948 (except the History Queue stuff).  I assume the problem must be this missing process, but I can't figure out why it won't run.  Any thoughts on this are apprecaited.

Noteably, both computers got a Windows Update on the same date when their last emails successfully attached.  This could be coincidence, but it seems possible that the updates played a role, and if that is so then we are likely not the only folks scratching our heads over this one right now.

Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author GerryS_27
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Can't get Act.Outlook.Service.exe to run

Hi Gerry, when running act.outlook.service.exe you don't normally get any messages or dialog boxes, however it should certainly appear within the processes tab of the task manager when you double click it.

This suggests to me that either something is blocking it, or that the service has somehow become corrupted.

Do you use any anti-virus software at all? I have heard of this happening sometimes if your AV software has been updated. As a quick test I would recommend disabling this entirely for a few minutes and try running the service. If this then starts successfully, I would recommed adding it to the list of exceptions in your anti-virus program.

If this fails, it could be another service that is running in the background that is causing a conflict, possibly because of the Windows update that you mentioned. Try following the below article to launch your PC in selective startup. This disables all non-essential services and again you can test starting act.outlook.service.exe (Note: the instructions are for Windows XP but should work within Windows 7 as well):

14499 How To Restart in Windows Selective Startup Mode
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14499

If this is still unsuccessful, the last step I would recommend trying would be a reinstall of Act!.

I hope this helps Gerry, pleae let us know how you get on.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author GerryS_27
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Hi Gerry, when running act.outlook.service.exe you don't normally get any messages or dialog boxes, however it should certainly appear within the processes tab of the task manager when you double click it.

This suggests to me that either something is blocking it, or that the service has somehow become corrupted.

Do you use any anti-virus software at all? I have heard of this happening sometimes if your AV software has been updated. As a quick test I would recommend disabling this entirely for a few minutes and try running the service. If this then starts successfully, I would recommed adding it to the list of exceptions in your anti-virus program.

If this fails, it could be another service that is running in the background that is causing a conflict, possibly because of the Windows update that you mentioned. Try following the below article to launch your PC in selective startup. This disables all non-essential services and again you can test starting act.outlook.service.exe (Note: the instructions are for Windows XP but should work within Windows 7 as well):

14499 How To Restart in Windows Selective Startup Mode
http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14499

If this is still unsuccessful, the last step I would recommend trying would be a reinstall of Act!.

I hope this helps Gerry, pleae let us know how you get on.

Steven,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.  That was it!  My anti-virus (AVG) was blocking it.  I have now added this to the exceptions.  I don't know why I didn't think of this, but I didn't.  Also, your description of using Selective Starup Mode is a trick I did not know about... I will file this away for future use, too.

Many thanks,

Gerry