Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't find ACT 2012 data after crash

Can't find ACT 2012 data after crash

I;ve been using ACT 2012 without a problem for a year. My laptop died on Oct. 4. I was able to save the hard drive and bought a USB enclosure thinking I'd have all the data available . I also back up my computer to Carbonite automatically so I have a second data.resource. Problem? The contact data base I downloaded to the new computer doesn't have any data for the past year. It's all older than a year. The tech showed me a log of their backups up until the day the computer died. I can find the demo data base files. They survived the crash. And although I can find my current data base, the last 12 month's data isn;t available. Any suggestion so how to find the data so I can update my files?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't find ACT 2012 data after crash

Carbonite won't usually backup the ACT! database ... the SQL engine opens the database when Windows starts.

It's always best to use the ACT! scheduler to create ZIP backups of the database ... then those can be backed up by Carbonite or anything else.

In the mean time, have a search for the ADB file you were using.

Mike: I appreciate your reply and can understand that Carbonite won't recognize the specific data files through sequel server.. I got that sense yesterday in talking with their Tier 3 rep. And he tried. I also have the hard drive from the old machine that wasn't backed up and then restored  through Carbonite. In other words, native files from using ACT with the previous computer. I took your suggestion and scanned that drive for ADF files. Nothing popped up that seemed to connect to a current version of ACT except for DEMO data bases.. 

The last two DEMO databases appear to be intact. Is it reasonable to think that a hardware crash could have wiped out my data files?Is 

finding files from a damaged drive isn't something a novice should attempt

Depending on how much the data is worth to you, I recommend having the drive checked by a data expert.

Do you have the original drive?

Mike: I was given another thought. My original laptop hard drive appears to be intact. The crash was hardware related.

Although I've already had ACT transfer the subscription for ACT 2012 to my new laptop, my wife has the same model Dell Latitude that I previously had. Therefore, if I temporarily swap hard dries with her that should allow me access to my ACT files and also let me create a backup of those files through the ACT backup program. My thought is that with those backups, I can then restore ithem to ACT in the new computer.

To do this I'l have to ask ACT to work with me by temporarily swapping the subscription back to the old hard drive and then return to the new computer once I've performed the backup.

Does this sound like a realistic approach?

Best regards,

Toolman

Platinum Super Contributor

Which ever direction you decide to go, the database files you will need will have the following naming conventions:

- 'databasename'.ADF

- 'databasename'.ALF

- 'databasename'-database files (a folder)

Copy these files to the new computer and open with the ADF.  Open ACT! > File > Open Database > change 'Files of Type' to ADF (instead of PAD) > browse to ADF file > Open.  This will recreate the PAD file.

You can install ACT! on another computer and have it run in Trial mode for 30 days, so registration is not a concern in that situation.

Greg Martin
Sage

Again, my thanks. I ended up having a tech support person from ACT work on my files for an hour yesterday. He was unable to find the required files.So, I've gone back in to my former hard drive and determined that I'm not authorized to open some of my own files. I get this message:

"You don't currently have permission to open this file"

It's entirely possible that I've slightly changed ny user name and password as I went from the old to new computer. If that's the case then the files shoud be locked. The difficulty I have is trying to access the former hard drive which is now recognized on the new computer as a remote hard drive.

Short of trying to figure out any subtle differences in User Name and Shortcuts is there a workaround to open those files? It's entirely possible that my unrecovered ACT files are in that protected area.

Just a suggestion on accessing the files: If the machine is Windows Vista or Windows 7, try logging into Windows using the built-in Admin account. Instructions are in the Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2179...

You may also want to disable User Account Control (requires a reboot):
Vista: http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2022...
Windows 7: http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2566...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.