Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't delete or move files due to SQL

Skilled Commentator

Can't delete or move files due to SQL

I saved some backups on my desktop when upgrading to 17 from 2013. I now want to delete these old files but get an error saying, The action can't be completed because the fiel is open in SQL Server (Act7). I have an adf, alf and database files folder. None will delete. HOw can I get rid of them? I"m all backed up and ready with the new. Just need to delete. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't delete or move files due to SQL

I assume that you didn't do the backup using the ACT! backup which creates a ZIP file that isn't attached to SQL. Those are the actual database files and the best way to delete than is to open that database in ACT! and then do the delete from the ACT! program.

You can stop the SQL server and then the files can be deleted but that won't remove the database connection information from the SQL server and will cause future problems.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Skilled Commentator

What future problems and how do I go about stopping it? I can' t be stuck with these files on my desktop forever. I did the appropriate backup through ACT. I saved things on my desktop to be easy to find. I've got a new database/name and these can go. 

Please be explicit in your instructions like I'm 3. I won't be offended in the least.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Try launching ACT! and then go to File | Open Database. Browse to the desktop and switch the files to look for to ADF. You should see the database listed and you can open it. You can then use Tools | Database Maintenance to delete the database.

I have concern that it's actually your working database so make sure that you want to delete the database before you do. Personally I would make a backup of the database using File | Backup Database in ACT! before deleting the database, just in case.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Skilled Commentator

Just what I needed, thanks!