Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't create new database - not enough licenses?

Tuned Listener

Can't create new database - not enough licenses?

Running ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1 on Vista Home box.  Have 2 licenses, 2 CPU on network.  Currently have 2 databases working fine. 

Trying to create a 3rd database, error message says can't create not enough licenses.  

Services show  SQL Server (ACT7) is started.

Now what?

Paul

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't create new database - not enough licenses?

You might try turning off Vista UAC to see if that's the cause as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2022...

Failing that:

• Are you trying to create the DB in the same folder... local on the PC you are using? Also, best not use create in My Docs if wanting to share
  • Are you a local Windows admin?
  • At what point does the error happen?
  • What's the EXACT error... there are a couple that a worded a bit differently with different causes

Tuned Listener

I'm betting this is a Vista Home issue (most everything is).  I've tried to create 5 databases and get various errors depending on where in the process.

The last thing I did was to copy a working database.  I tried to log in and got the error "To finalze the registration, the database administrator must login first".  No option for User Name or PW is offered, it just closes.I am Admin and have full Admin rights. I' have Windows User Account Cotrol off.

ACT SQL database and Windows Vista . . . a very bad combination.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Paul

You can't just copy a SQL database unless you stop the SQL service. The database is locked by the SQL engine when Windows starts.

Can you answer the other questions I asked?

Tuned Listener

I made a copy of the database using ACT.

• Are you trying to create the DB in the same folder... local on the PC you are using? Also, best not use create in My Docs if wanting to share
    • Seperate folder
    • The folder is in DOCUMENTS now but I will move to a Network folder after I get it running.
    • Yes, I'm Admin.
    • Several errors
      • Upon creating new database error "not enoungh licenses to open this database".  Sorry, that's not exact, I only get to see it once.
      • Next, I try to open and get login screen but non of the username/pw's work and I made certain that what I created is what I logged in with.
      • Also, confired with ElcomSoft Act Password Recovery
  • What's the EXACT error... there are a couple that a worded a bit differently with different causes

Paul

PaulHoward wrote:

I made a copy of the database using ACT.

You mean File | Save Copy?

• Seperate folder
    • The folder is in DOCUMENTS now but I will move to a Network folder after I get it running.
You can't put on a network folder unless ACT! also on the server - and it must be created or restored on the server
    • Yes, I'm Admin.
    • Several errors
      • Upon creating new database error "not enoungh licenses to open this database".  Sorry, that's not exact, I only get to see it once.

At what point in the creation?

Try to create another and get the exact point and error

How about if you try to create it in c:\ACTDATA (create the folder first)

Are the working databases also on your PC?

Tuned Listener

You mean File | Save Copy?

Yes

You can't put on a network folder unless ACT! also on the server - and it must be created or restored on the server
Yes, I know. I have two other database begin shared on the server.  This will be number 3.  ACT is on the server with seperate license.

At what point in the creation?

Try to create another and get the exact point and error

How about if you try to create it in c:\ACTDATA (create the folder first)

Created the database as above

Error message:

"There are not enough licenses in this database to allow you to log in.  Please contact your Administrator."

I checked licenses for local machine.  There should have been two but there were none!!  Where did they go?

Reregistered and database opens fine.  That's really odd.

Thanks for the hand holding.

Paul

Tuned Listener

Yes, all of the licenses were missing.  Wow!  How does that happen?

What is the best way to delete a database and all supporting files and folders?

Paul

Tuned Listener

Also, what is the bset way to rename a database and all supporting files/folders?

Thanks again!

Paul