Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't create first database on Sage ACT! 2012 on Windows XP

Can't create first database on Sage ACT! 2012 on Windows XP

I am a senior ignorant when it comes to computers, so I hope you have patience!

I have been an ACT! user since the early 90's way before Sage (Symantec even) and have upgraded periodically.  I purchased the update version of SageACT! 2012 and downloaded it to the same machine as my previous ACT! version that is running Windows XP. I started the program and tried to create my first database and got the error message

"Cannot create local database; SQL is not installed locally."

What the heck is this? I've never been told anything about any SQL during the upgrade process. I've searched the knowledgebase and promo material for answers and have found nothing but an obscure reference to:

"Sage ACT! uses SQL Server 2008 R2. If you would like to use a different edition of SQL Server than the one provided, please consult Microsoft documentation for specific requirements for that edition." No help here.

Now I'm stuck. Can anybody help this old man? Monday is coming and all 3,000 plus contacts! 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can't create first database on Sage ACT! 2012 on Windows XP

Hello Papa Joe,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

'Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2' is required for the Sage ACT! program to function in a stand alone environment.  The SQL program is also included in the Sage ACT! installation.  It appears there may have been an issue with the installation of the SQL program.

If you just purchased the program, you are entitled to the 30-day Warranty support and can contact our technical support group for assistance.  The phone number is 800-927-3989.

If you are outside of your support window, have a look at the following article to determine if the SQL instance did or did not install: KB Article 28216.  If the instance is installed, be sure that it is started (as in the article instructions).

Greg Martin
Sage