Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't connect to database

Can't connect to database

Hello All,

I created a main database on the server for 6 users to access.  After importing all the individual databases, everything seemed to be working fine.  However, now the database is not accessible outside of the office (i.e. sales calls, meetings).  The program that is being used by the company is SafeNet SoftRemote LT.  I am not familiar with this program and would appreciate any assistance in updating the settings to include the new database to be accessed as well. 

Thanks!!

Brent

Bronze Contributor

Re: Can't connect to database

[ Edited ]

Brent,

In general, the settings to allow ACT! and SQL through that particular firewall are the same as for more common firewalls, such as Windows Firewall, McAfee, Norton, etc.

Here's a link to the knowledgebase article that explains the exceptions that have to be added to the Windows Firewall:

How to Add ACT! by Sage and the ACT7 SQL Server® Instance to the Windows® Firewall Exceptions List

You can use that as a reference to add the same application and port exceptions to your firewall.

[Edit - shortened KB link to fit on screen]

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-01-2010 09:30 AM
Signature
Bronze Contributor

[ Edited ]

As a matter of fact, here's a more generic version of those instructions - the meat of the article is the table with the exceptions.

Using your Anti-Virus/Firewall Software with ACT! by Sage

[Edit - shortened KB link to fit on screen]

Message Edited by ghollister on 06-01-2010 09:31 AM
Signature

Thanks!!  Now in doing this is there anything needed to contact remotely to the server or how will that work?  I see that it will allow it to come through, but I still think there needs to be a way to connect to the server to try and use it.  Am I wrong on that?
Bronze Contributor

You'll need to know the outside IP address for the router - if it's fixed, fine.  (www.whatismyip.com) If not, then you'll need to use one of the several dynamic IP subscription services that track the IP for you, or use Hamachi and that provides VPN services and dynamic IP tracking.  Your contract with you Internet Provider will indicate whether you are paying for a fixed IP.  Sometimes extra, sometimes included.  If dynamic, simply google dynamic ip and you'll find explanations and some providers.
Signature