Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't connect to database Windows 2008

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can't connect to database Windows 2008

Hiho,

our company purchased Act By Sage 10 and i have the follwing problem. I installed Act By Sage 10 on the Host(Windows Server 2008 32 Bit) and the Client(Vista 32 Bit).I studied the following papers:

How to Share an ACT! by Sage Database over a Network
 Error: "Could not access the specified database"

Every test in the second papers passe, but i got still the error, i cant connect to the Database. Has someone an idea?

(if i change the role an i host the DB on the client(vista), everything works, but that is not my aim....)

Greetings Marko 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author markol
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Can't connect to database Windows 2008

Hiho,

i can browse the share, there is no problem. I can host a DB from the Vista Client and access ist from the Windows 2008 Server.

I found a solution, now it works fine Smiley Happy 

Here is the solution maybe interessinting for your FAQ, i run Mircrosoft SQL Server 2008 on Windows 2008 and the sqlserverbrowser (the service) does not run as default. Enabling the service and ajusting the firewall setting, allowing traffic for sqlbrowser.exe in : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared"solves my problem.

Although thank for trying to help me Smiley Happy

Greetings

View solution in original post

All Replies

ACT! 2008 isn't compatible with Server 2008.  So I'm not sure if this will be something specific to it being incompatible or just a simple sharing issue.  Is this error when accessing a local database or a workstation access the shared database?  If its a shared database issue, try opening the PAD file in Notepad and change the computer name to the internal IP address of the server.

Copper Contributor

Hi,

The problem occurs only when a Client (Vista) tries to access the remote Database which lies on the Windows Server 2008. Folder Security and sharing options are set correctly...just for testing (fullaccess for everyone) the firewall is also disabled in the test scenario. We only have Windows 2008 Server for a hosting option ...so it would be great if someone can tell me if it is possible to work with windows 2008....or has an other idea

I modified the "PAD" File but nothing changes...no access to database Smiley Sad

Greetings  

Nickel Elite Contributor

Independent of ACT!, can you browse to the share from your Vista machine?  Open a browser and enter the share name / location in the address field.

Also, just as a test if you can,  try hosting your database on Vista and try to access the Vista share using Server 2008 as the client.  I think there is something fishy with the share on server 2008 to be honest.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Tuned Listener

Have you tried disabling the firewall in Windows Server 2008 and the Vista client?  If that works, then you have a firewall issue.

I have the Act! 2009 Premium V11 running on a Windows 2008 server supporting Windows XP clients (both direct and remote).

I did not install Act! 2008 on a Windows 2008 server since Sage said it was not supported.

A kind user pointed me to this article when I was having problems.

Try this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5qlach

With me, direct users did not work until I added TCP port 1433 and UDP port 1434 to be allowed thru the Windows Server 2008 firewall.

No idea if this will resolve your issue with a version of Act which has not been stated to work against Windows Server 2008.

Solution
Accepted by topic author markol
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Hiho,

i can browse the share, there is no problem. I can host a DB from the Vista Client and access ist from the Windows 2008 Server.

I found a solution, now it works fine Smiley Happy 

Here is the solution maybe interessinting for your FAQ, i run Mircrosoft SQL Server 2008 on Windows 2008 and the sqlserverbrowser (the service) does not run as default. Enabling the service and ajusting the firewall setting, allowing traffic for sqlbrowser.exe in : "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Shared"solves my problem.

Although thank for trying to help me Smiley Happy

Greetings