Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't change layout height in customized report

Can't change layout height in customized report

I'm customizing the Contact Report and can't change the height of the details section.  I would like it to print so that there is more than one company per page, but it seems like without changing the height of this section, it won't collapse at all.

Section Details:

Behaviors

Can Grow: Yes

Can Shrink: Yes

Force Page Break:  none

Keep Together:  no

Any ideas?

Re: Can't change layout height in customized report

Are there any large gaps while in the report designer?  If there are, try removing the gaps by bring the sections up.
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have tried to drag the white space in the designer; it drags and then reverts back.  Additionally, I have tried changing the height in the properties panel; it changes then reverts back. It's making my report much longer than it needs to be.  I'm running Windows 7 professional, ACT Premium 2013 V 15.1.108.0. I had the same property settings as the person who originally posted this.  Any thoughts?  I am referring to the details section of the report.  All other sections I am able to decrease size.

Tuned Listener

The Notes Histories report was working fine.  A rep did a sync yesterday, tried to run her daily report, and it produced about 54 pages (mostly blank) rather than 4-5 pages.  I've worked on the template and it is almost perfect, except that now the first page has a 1/2-page blank space prior to listing the very first history.  All others histories follow the first one fairly well....a few have a slightly bigger gap than I'd like, but nothing terrible.  It is just the initial blank space prior to the first activity that I need to fix.  I have a text box in the template that says "Contact" right in the very top left corner of the detail grid, so I have no idea why I can't get rid of the initial blank area.  I have the Date Range in the page header area and that seems fine.  Any ideas how to get rid of that initial gap?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Your biggest problem is that you have 25 or so blank records in your database. They will be processed and insert blank space.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

I don't think it is that.  I was looking at the particular sales rep's territory so when I ran the Notes-History, I selected "Current Lookup" which has no blank records.  When I run the report, the Date Range is shown, followed by the blank area, and then the first history is shown.  It lists the text box I mentioned, which says CONTACT followed by that contact's info. 

Try running it for current contact and see what happens. Blank area like that in the report means that it's processing records but not including them in the report.

There is a third party book with comprehensive training information on the ACT! reports, here is the link.

https://www.packtpub.com/sage-act-2011-dashboard-and-report-cookbook/book

Full disclusure I wrote the reports chapters of the book.  The report chapters work for all version of the ACT! program since ACT! 2007.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

The report is fine when I use "Current Contact".  But there are no blank contact records in the 1355 accounts in this rep's territory, so I'm not sure what to do.  All 1355 have contact information. 

At this point I think that part of the problem is caused by the database itself and part by the report formatting. I've been able to eliminate unwanted white space by a combination of formatting tricks, some by the formatting in the report editor itself but the main part by editing the report template XML code directly. Even the format tricks available through report editor requires an in depth understanding of how the report engine works.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129