Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't backup ACT! Pro 2012

Can't backup ACT! Pro 2012

"Sage ACT! Pro 2012" was installed on my BRAND NEW CLEAN system bought the same day that the software was purchased.  It seems that I registered my most recent version of "Sage ACT! Pro 2012" somewhere around January 16th, 2012.  (I didn't recall that exact date specifically)  Shorty after installing the software I attempted to make a backup of my database and received an error with a very complex message about a paragraph long.  As it turns out, that EXACT error is KNOWN TO SAGE and can be found at this link: http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28141/~/error%3A-%22%22cannot-insert-duplic...

After performing all the requested tasks on the aformentioned page, which included running a batch file from the SAGE site, the problem still remains, meaning I still can't backup.  (and an error occurred while running that batch file)

Under "Related Information", that page goes further to say "If you receive an error when running the batch file, you may be able to resolve using the following steps: ......."  (which I tried to do)  Within those "steps", they request that I look for a specific folder, one that as far as I can tell, doesn't exist on my system. (C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn.)

I was later told that for those running a 64 Bit Operating System "c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn" is the folder that I should use.  Yes, THAT folder does exist on my system.

With that said, I did in fact run the SQL2008R2_Express_BackupFix.bat from within that folder with no success.  Then, I tried the other bat file, SQL2008R2_Standard_BackupFix.bat and also ran it from within that same folder, and again no success.

Then, as the last resort mentioned on the Sage knowledge base page I downloaded the "Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Command Line Utilities" package.  After downloading that, I ran both "bat" files again from within that folder.

Again, no success and I'm continuing to get the same error regardless of the "fix" tried.

Here's the error text:
Type in your database name
RedellSearch
HResult 0xFFFFFFFF, Level 16, State 1
SQL Server Network Interfaces: An error occurred while obtaining the dedicated a
dministrator connection (DAC) port. Make sure that SQL Browser is running, or ch
eck the error log for the port number [xFFFFFFFF].
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : A network-related or in
stance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server
. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and i
f SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see
 SQL Server Books Online..
Sqlcmd: Error: Microsoft SQL Server Native Client 10.0 : Login timeout expired.
Press any key to continue . . .

John

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Can't backup ACT! Pro 2012

Are you backing up your database from within Act! (File|Back up)?

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

Did you ever get anywhere with this...I'm running up against it as well.  I'm thinking it is permission issue accessing the SQL DB, but don't know enough to get around it.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello mikeh,
Can you specify if you are experiencing the original error (noted in KB article 28141) or an error running the batch file? Also please be aware that this is an issue with Microsoft SQL Server that MS corrected with Service Pack 1. Applying this service pack then running the batch file should get rid of the issue. Details are in KB 28141: http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2814...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

all indications were that that SQL Server was standard edition. Even under ADD/Remove. I had to update .net to get the ACT diags to run. It then pointed out that the SQL edition was just express. After running the express .bat file, it worked.
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good to hear. If you have not already done so, you will need to apply SP1 for SQL Server 2008 R2. Download page links are in the aforementioned KB article.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

That's what I started with....thanks for following up