Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't add contact to group: ACT! freezes

Can't add contact to group: ACT! freezes

When I attempt to add a contact to a group from the taskbar, ACT! freezes.  I have to use Task Manager to shut down and restart ACT!  I've been using ACT! Pro 2011 for about a month, and this only just started to happen.  If I go the other way - look up the group, and click Group Membership > Add/Remove Contacts - it works fine.  Windows XP Serv Pak 3, dual core, 4GB Ram.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Can't add contact to group: ACT! freezes

Can you tell us the exact version of ACT! with hotfix?  (go to your help menu, then choose about ACT!, it will tell you the exact version).

You could also try loggin on as the local admin to see if the issue is able to be reproduced on another logon.  I would also recommend opening up the ACT! Demo database and seeing if the issue is database specific.

Those are some good first steps that will help us determine where to go from here.

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic

Brand new download, so:
ACT! Pro 2011, ver 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2
Haven't tried the demo 'base yet, but I've seen reports of exactly this problem from others on ver's several back...
Am logged on as admin

Just discovered can't add contact to company either.  Too, and for a different thread, ACT! mail is very unstable.

This is still a problem.  Did try reloading ACT!; no change, did try loading demo DB, same problem.

Copper Contributor

Can you hear a "bing" - we had the same issue came down to a dual monitor issue. For some reason we had to change the monitor settings as to which was main and which was #2 that fixed it.

Do you run dual monitors????

Yep dual monitors, changing #1 didn't fix the prob, but I do notice that I have a driver issue that I have to resolve first. Off to try to do that now...
Copper Contributor

We are having this problem on Act! Premium Version 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 5 running on Windows 7 stations.

I didn't see a resolution anywhere. Does anyone have some ideas? 

Thanks,

Aaron

Copper Elite Contributor

try checking your duplicate checking criteria.  We've seen it where it gets corrupted and won't let you do this.  Tools>>Preferences>>ADMIN TAB>>Duplicate Checking  Option.  Under Recrod Type, choose Group.

See what settings you have.  If you get an error message and Act! closes, that means you have some backend db corruption that will have to be fixed.

The default settings are Group Name, then Record Creator then <None>

Mark Hammer
ACT! Fanatic