Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't access shared databases on network

Can't access shared databases on network

I recently started a new job and I was deployed a new laptop with ACT v.11 (2009).  My two other co-workers are using ACT v.9 (2007).  They have databases on a shared directory that I can navigate to but cannot open in ACT.  I get an error message:

"Cannot find database supplemental files folder Vendors-database files in this locations XXXX_XXXXX.  This could be a problem with the share, or the folder may not exist.  Please contact the administrator of your database."

I can only think that this is a problem with either version compabitility or somehow with the licensing.  All 3 of us have valid licenses but mine was purchased by our corporate office whereas they purchased theirs locally.  Any thoughts on how to navigate through this problem?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Can't access shared databases on network

I think the share issue is one problem, in that the message is pretty straighforward - the supplemental files (folders) are not shared correctly.  HOWEVER, you don't want to open their existing 2007 databases with your 2009 version - it will upgrade the database in order to open, and they will never be able to open the upgraded database until they all upgrade ACT!  Which, of course, is a good idea...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Thanks for information.  And boy am I glad that I didn't get those files to open properly...although all 3 of us are now likely going to upgrade to 2010. 

On the sharing front, is there a link to a write-up on how to do this properly.  We took the steps that had been completed in the past (at least we think we did), i.e. Tools, Manage Users,..., but to no avail.  I'd like to make sure that we can appropriately get me added to the user list so that the files will be accessible to all 3 of us prior to spending the $ to upgrade.

Thanks again for the help!

Bronze Super Contributor

While you are right about going to the Tools menu to share, you do not want to go to the Users Wizard.

Rather, under Tools | Database Maintenance you will find an option to share the database.

Addtionally, you may have to configure the firewall on the machine that actually hosts the database files...

(All this of course is moot until you are all on the same version of Act!)

Here is a link to the KB article on sharing an Act! database :  http://bit.ly/8MYX8Z