Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't access database

Can't access database

Hello-

I am running ACT 2012 V 14.1.108.0 on a Windows 7 64-bit computer.

Everything appeared to be working fine, and I did the monthly ACTDIAG check-repair-reindex-rebuild routine that I normally do monthly to keep everything in order. However, after doing that, I can't access my main database anymore. I get an error which says, "The database XX could not be accessed. In order ....". I can access other ACT databases which are on my system just fine, so it appears to be a file problem, not a program problem.

I ran ACTDIAG again the database after not being able to access it, but that appears to have made things worse. I read some Knowledgebase articles which told me to go back into ACTDIAG and do some things. However, now when I try to access the Database List in ACTDIAG, I get another error- "Unhandled exception has occurred in your application.....XX database is already open and can only have one user at a time." It says that the database is open, but ACT is closed I don't know where the database is open.

When I checked my daily backups done through the ACT scheduler, it appears that the backups have failed for almost a month.  So, I can't just restore from backup. Any suggestions as to how I might be able to fix this problem?

Thank you-

Marcos

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't access database

Hello Marcos,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. For a local database, the most common cause for this is that SQL Server service is not running. The following KB article addresses this:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2821...

If this does not resolve, then additional causes/solutions are in this KB article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1964...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Thanks, but those solutions didn't do it. As I mentioned, it doesn't appear to be a program problem, as I can access my other databases just fine. The SQL Server (ACT7) was disabled, and I set that to start delayed, but that didn't appear to change anything. Most of the other solutions in the knowledgebase articles involved changing things in ACT once you've entered using the database that I can't enter. Most of the other solutions involved using ACTDIAG, and ACTDIAG still crashes with the "Unhandled exception" error saying that the database that I want is already open, and I don't know how to close it. 

I restored and renamed the last backup of the database that's about 1 month old, and it looks good. It backed up, and I could do database maintenance in Tools fine. However, when I go to ACTDIAG, ACTDIAG still crashes with the same error telling me that the database that I want is already open.

I can live with just using the renamed month-old database if I can't get back that database in it's last-used version. However, ACTDIAG is still crashing and telling me that database that I want is already open appears to be a problem that I should try to fix. Any suggestions?

I am having this problem too!

Perhaps I should say that what started this problem seemed to be fat-fingering my login. Once I reentered the login/pw correctly it says, "Could not authenticate user....yada yada"  Trying to follow directions like these that I'm finding on the web but the Database list generates errors about not being able to open the demo database which I'm not interested in anyway and it's giving a path that is incorrect for my system.  i.e., it's saying .../Public/Documents/....  whereas the folder is really Public Documents. I have tried stopping and restarting the SQL SERVER (act7) service but that's not helping.

Once I got a database list up, I followed directions to copy and delete the database.  I did this for the Demo database since that one is in recovery and the error referenced it.  My own database is status online.  But the Demo database would not delete and generated errors. I feel boxed in.

Platinum Super Contributor

Marcos,

You mention in the first post a message: 'database is already open and can only have one user at a time'.  Try these steps to resolve this:

- Stop the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service (article 28216)

- Copy the 3 database files (ADF, ALF, and 'database files' folder) to a new location.  The PAD file is not needed.

- Rename the 3 files - example: add 'New' to the beginning of the file names.  Ensure that the file names are the same.

- Start the 'SQL Server (ACT7) service.

- Open the new copy of the database using the ADF file. (File > Open/Share Database > click 'The database I want is not listed' >  change 'Files of type' to ADF > locate new ADF file > Open).

Karen,

To verify: the issue is that you aren't able to open your database - it gives the 'Could not authenticate' message - correct?

If that is the issue, are you the only user of the database? 

If there is another user and they have Admin authority, they can use the Tools > Manage Users option to determine your username and reset the password.

Greg Martin
Sage