Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Open My Database - Please Help

Can't Open My Database - Please Help

I disconnected my computer and when I plugged it back in I couldn't open my ACT database (version 11) from 2009.  I received the following message. 

"The database could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer."

Can anyone tell me how to get my database up and running again?

Nickel Contributor

Re: Can't Open My Database - Please Help

Have you tried re-booting your machine or re-starting the ACT7 SQL instance in services?

Go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services and then look for SQL Server (ACT7) and click the start button or the restart one if it states it has stared.

Hopefully that will sort it.

I just tried your suggestion, but the following message was displayed after hitting the "start" button in the ACT7 SQL Tab.

"Windows coun not start the SQL Server (ACT7) on local computer. For more information, review the system event log. If this is non-microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to service-specifi error, 3417.

Anyone have suggestions of what to do next?  Thanks.

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

Try changing the service to local system via clicking on the SQL (ACT7) then right mouse click and select properties. Click the  Log on tab and then select Local system account. 

Then try starting the service.

Also make sure that the install folder is not compressed for SQL as this can also cause the same error.

I've also just read that it can also happen due to the master database being corrupt or compressed. If the folder and the database files are not compressed then probably the easiest route would be to uninstall ACT! and SQL then re-install SQL and ACT! then you will just be able to browse to the database pad file or delet the pad file and browse for the ADF file to attach the database again.