Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Open Database

Can't Open Database

I started getting this message today  and can't get in.  This database is on a remote server. Any ideas ?

Im using ACT 2011 on Windows 7. The Server is using XP.

The log for database 'filename' is not available. Check the event log for related error messages. Resolve any errors and restart the database.

Ken Silberling
Principal
Commercial Florida Realty Services
Boca Raton, FL
www.commfla.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Open Database

[ Edited ]

Hello Kennyess,
This error could mean that SQL log file for the database is missing, damaged, or inaccessible. On the server, check the location where the database is stored and see if .ALF file is present (example: mydatabase.alf). Also, open ACT! on the server and see if the database can be opened locally (not through network).

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I remembered that the last time I had a similar problem, I rebooted the server and I was able to get in again. This time when I rebooted, I got a different e-mail message instructing me to check my firewalls. I figured I'd reboot again, and after the second server reboot, I was able to get in. By the way, I did have an alf file.

I'm not sure why it worked or what exactly went wrong, but I hadn't seen my particular error message up on this board, so hopefully this may help someone else.

Because I access my ACT on  server from my laptop, I seem to have occasional problems connecting - not sure if there may be some way to stop this from hapening (about once every 2-3 months). Any ideas what haapened and how I can prevent it ?

Also if you can point me to a knowledgebase article on how to create a local version of the database that can sync back to the network, that would be great.

Ken Silberling
Principal
Commercial Florida Realty Services
Boca Raton, FL
www.commfla.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

The connectivity issue could be network-related, or one or both of the key SQL services (SQL Server ACT7, SQL Server Browser) is not starting properly on the server.

In regards to creating a remote database for synchronization, here is the KB article for that:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1411...

Also, you would use a different sync service on the server depending on whether you have the Pro or Premium version of ACT! 2011:
Pro (application sync): http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1519...
Premium (network sync): http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2679...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.