Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Move Act! 2009 Database to a new PC

Can't Move Act! 2009 Database to a new PC

Using Act Std 2009 (v.11) to a new PC.  Loaded Act on the PC from the CD.  Created a backup of the original database on the old PC, saving it to an external drive.  Created a directory on the new PC for the backup and opened ACT on the new PC and attempted to restore.  Got an error message that filled an entire page.  Began like this:

Act.Data.DatabaseAccess.Exception: The SQL Database service is not started. ---> Act,Data.Actdb.ActdbException:An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by default settings SQL server does not allow remote connections (Provider Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server) --->System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by default settings SQL server does not allow remote connections (Provider Named Pipes Provider, error 40 - could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Any idea how to deal with this?  Looking forward to figuring out how to resolve this.  Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Milt

Re: Can't Move Act! 2009 Database to a new PC

Verify that the SQL service is started.

- Go to Start and select Run.  Type in services.msc and click Ok.

- Find SQL Server (ACT7) in the listed.  Under the Status column, make sure its listed as Started.

David,

Thanks for the advice.  When I clicked on the SQL(Act) I got this message:

Configuration Manager:  Specified device instance handle does not correspond to present device.

I clicked Ok and the SQL Server (ACT7) Properties (Local Computer) window opened.  Status was stopped so I clicked "start".  And I got the following:

Windows could not start SQL Server (ACT7) on the Local Computer.  For more information review the System Event Log.  If this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor and refer to service specific error code 17113.

Any ideas what to do next?  I really appreciate the help.  Thanks so much.

Milt 

Looks like you called support today.  Where you able to get the issue resolved?