Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Log On Existing Database - Problem with IP Address or Microsoft SQL Server

Can't Log On Existing Database - Problem with IP Address or Microsoft SQL Server

I left this same message a week ago but still haven't heard from anybody. So I'm repeating:

I'm using Window 7 (64-bit), Office Professional Plus 2013 (32-bit), Act!ProV16 with Commercial Real Estate (CRE) overlay. When I try to log on, the following dialog box will show up:

The "." computer could not be reached because the IP address " " could not be resolved. Verifying the "." computer is on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL Server is properly installed may resolve this issue.

I've tried to repair SQL Server 2008 R2 Setup  and SQL Server 2008 Setup Support Files, but I can't find the surce files because I purchase the software by downloading.

However, I can temporarily resolve the problem by using system scanning software Geek Tech Tool Box and fixing the scanned items. The log on problem would appear again about several times a week depending on often I use the computer. So I would fixed the same problem again with Geek Tech. It's kind of annoying and I'm losing confidence with the ACT! Anyone can suggest a permanent solution. Thanks in advance.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Can't Log On Existing Database - Problem with IP Address or Microsoft SQL Server

What is Geek Tech Toolbox fixing in the scanned items that makes it work?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Re: Can't Log On Existing Database - Problem with IP Address or Microsoft SQL Server

Scanned items that got fixed again and again are mainly Privacy Items, along with less number of System Problems, Malware Protection, Performance Problems and Junk Files.

Terry

The "." computer could not be reached because the IP address " " could not be resolved. Verifying the "." computer is on the network, that it has the correct IP address, and that Microsoft SQL Server is properly installed may resolve this issue.

The "." means this computer.  For some reason not every installation of Windows properly accepts a "." as the proper way of handling a local install of Act!.  The way to fix this would be to edit the .PAD file in notepad, and put in the name of this computer.  You can get the name of the computer under the computer properties window.  Click Start, right click on Computer(or My Computer), and click properties.  There should be a line in that Window that says Full Computer Name.  That is what you need to put in the .PAD file to replace the dot.

For instance if one of the lines of your pad file starts off like this:

<ACTDatabase name="Swifties" host="."

change it to read

<ACTDatabase name="Swifties" host="YOURCOMPUTERNAMEHERE"

It is important that your computer name is within the quotes.  If you are still having problems, please let me know here.

Billy Clark
Swiftpage
Act! Knowledgebase: http://kb.act.com

Thanks Bill. I got the computer full name but don't know how I can get to that specific .PAD file. Please advise.

Terry