Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Create new Contact

Can't Create new Contact

I recently purchased and installed ACT 2008, Version 10 on a new computer.

I am very experienced with ACT as I have used it since 1988.

I have modified the fields to fit the business I am in at the time, and most recently I have a database that is unique to the electrical trades. I was using an older version of ACT on my ancient notebook, which decided to quit. Fortunately, I had a backup copy and was able to transfer the data to the new version of ACT.

Everything moved over nicely except two fields which did not properly map (most likely my error), but I can’t create a new Contact. All of the records are accessible, but when I attempt to create a new contact, type the information, and move on to another Contact, I receive a dialog box that prevents me from doing anything else.

The dialog box say: “One or more errors have been detected. Place your mouse on the red error indicators to display the error message.”  Well, I searched all of the tabs, all of the screens, and there are no “red error indicators.” I reviewed all of the fields in the Define Fields and none of the fields require data entry, so it can’t be due to a vacant field looking for information. When I attempt to use the database I receive a small dialog box that says: “Value cannot be null. Parameter name: criteria.”

However, Ican create a new contact if I use the ACT demo database.

Please tell me what is going on. I really need to get my ACT together.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Create new Contact

Most likely, the fields are there, but not on the Layout... and they are set to require data

Go to the layout editor and add the fields to the layout so you can see them

I am having this same issue.  Can you tell me how you got it fixed?  I cant seem to find the section that was suggested.

I have the same issue. I know which field is missing, but when I use layout editor to try to add a field, the "select field" dialog box does not list my field as being available to add. I thought that maybe the missing field is somewhere in the layout hidden under something else, so I tried deleting all my tabs and everything else in the layout. The missing field still doesn't show up in the "select field" box. I am going to have to go into "Define Fields" to make it accept a null value, but I really would like to use that field in my layout, as I have data in it. Is there anything more I can do?

To follow up on  my previous post. I checked the properties of the field I was worried about, and somehow it was at position -9000,-9000. I set it for 0, 0 and it showed up! Problem solved!