Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Create Remote Database

Can't Create Remote Database

Ok, this is driving me crazy. On ACT 2013. Trying to create a remote database, I get the following error:

The file could not be opened for reading.

According the KB, this occurs when, "This error will occur if a file that is attached to a contact who is in the sync set of the remote you are creating is currently open in another application. An example would be if one of the contacts has a Microsoft® Word® document attached under their Documents tab, and that document is currently open in Word."

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of to correct this problem:

1. Rebooted my workstation, opened no software other than ACT.

2. Signed in as a different user with Admin privileges.

3. Tried to create the remote database from my server, using two different user logins.

Any ideas here? I've created remote databases in the past, but only when I was on ACT 2011; this is my first time trying after upgrading to 2013 about a month ago.

Thanks in advance.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Can't Create Remote Database

That error usually means a file is being held open, usually Word.  Try this KB. http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27702/~/error%3A-%22the-file-could-not-be-o...

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

I'm afraid that doesn't help at all. The text I posted in my question was taken exactly from that KB, so obviosuly I already had seen that. My server doesn't have MS Office on it, I use it as a dedicated server with a single instance of ACT running as I need that to be able to Sync my remote databases to it (I'm running ACT Pro 213).

As I mentioned, I've rebooted both the server and the workstation, and tried to create the remote database with two different Admin users on each machine; all situations fail.

Thanks anyway for the reply.

Silver Super Contributor

I think I had a simlar error a while back and the fix was to replace the "." in the database PAD file with the name of the machine hosting the database.  Give that a try and see if it works.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the suggestion. If I read your reply correctly, you are saying to rename the .pad file from MyCompanyName.pad to Server.pad (name of the machine with the databsae). Unfortunately, that did not work. But, thank you for the reply.

Silver Super Contributor

No.  What I meant was change the "." to your hostname in the .PAD file.  You can edit the .PAD file with Notepad.  It looks something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="Act2011Demo" host="." location="C:\ACTSHARE\Databases" type="Sql" />

you want to change it to this:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>
<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]-->
<ACTDatabase name="Act2011Demo" host="Put your Server Name Here" location="C:\ACTSHARE\Databases" type="Sql" />

Then open the database using the PAD file.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Oh, I get it. It already has the name SERVER there, so that won't help. But, thanks again.

Silver Super Contributor

Ok.  In that case the system probably doesn't have permission to access one of the attachments.  You could change the access rights of all of the attachments in the attachments folder to allow the system to have access to them if that's the case.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

Still no go, sigh...but....

I changed the permissions on that folder to Full Control for Everyone. No go.

However, I also tried to create a remote database where I told it  Do Not allow this database to sync attachments, and to not include attachments in the remote database creation. That worked. When I tried to do the Do Not Allow Attachments but told it to include attachments in that remote database, it failed. So, it does sound like I'm getting the problem with the attachments folder, but not sure what else I can do to chnage permissions.

Not sure if this has any bearing, but the error only oocurs when it's 95% from being done, when it says it's Packing remote database.

Thanks for the help so far, we're getting closer.

As a follow-up, I also made sure all groups had Permissions of Full Control, Modify, Read and execute, List Folder Contents, and Read checked. I also tried to remove the Read Only atrribute of the folder. No go.