Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Create New Templates or Edit Old Ones

Can't Create New Templates or Edit Old Ones

I suddenly lost the ability to create new ACT! 2008 templates or to edit templates and Save As a template. Everything that I attempt to do with a template only allows me to save the template as a Word 2007 .docx and all the other W2007 options. This is Windows XP Pro SP3, 4GB RAM and very fast for an office machine. ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1. The OS was just reinstalled but I was working on templates yesterday, no problem.

The Act! add-in is installed in Word and I can get Word to bring up the field list but I cannot save the document as an ACT! template or access the document to do a mail merge.

Tom Gibson

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Create New Templates or Edit Old Ones

The ACT! templates in Word have a suffix of ".adt" When you open the template from ACT! the file type is preset to look for .adt files. This is why you cannot see any files you saved with the .docx suffix.

You can save a template back to the ACT! template folder by ensuring the file name has double quotation marks around it, i.e. "myfilesave.adt". This prevents Word from adding its own suffix to word files.  

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au

When I try to create a new template or save as an existing one the adt suffix is no longer available. This suffix is no longer preset for new files or existing templates. So, as I said-I cannot create templates-that is the problem. I can only see W2007 save options, not the Act! template that should be there. I haven't saved the files as .doc or docx because there is not point in doing so if you want to use it as a template.

Tom Gibson

Copper Elite Contributor

Tom, when you go to save a file, you see two areas, one for the "File name" and the other for "Save as type". In the "File name" area, edit the name to read "Test Template.adt" (with the double quotation marks), and then save that file to the ACT! template folder.

Now from ACT!, select Write, Other document (from template). You should see all the ACT! templates, including the "Test Template.adt" file.

Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au
Highlighted

Neil,

I never said I can't see all of my templates. What I said is that choosing to "save as" an ACT! template is no longer an option. Usually when you are creating or editing an ACT! template from the Write menu the only option is to save it as an ACT! template. You can only access this from inside ACT! for some reason and saving an ACT! templateis not available from inside Word unless it was launched by ACT!

That feature no longer works. I cannot create new ACT! templates if Word is being used as the word processor and I cannot edit templates and save them as ACT! templates either. That part of the ACT! feature set is gone.

I can see all of the templates that I created and that come with the program. I can use them but I can't save as an adt file or create new ones as adt files. It would be nice if save as an adt file was available from within Word all the time so you don't have to launch it from ACT!, but that has never been the case in my experience.

Tom Gibson

Copper Elite Contributor

Tom,

once you have selected a template from within ACT!, you are then transferred to MS Word. Yes there are macros in the background that preset the folder to the ACT! template folder and preset the file type to .adt. However you are still in MS Word and the ability to change folders, select files and rename files is available, hence the previous suggestions.

It may be that the macros have been disabled in MS Word. Check that and also run the MS Word Detect and Repair function.

There are a number of artices in the Knowledgebase as to how to do this.

Failing that, the ACT!-Word interface may be damaged, and an uninstall and reinstall of both ACT! and Office may be the best way to overcome the problem.

Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au
Copper Contributor

I too use ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1, and we recently(!) moved to Office 2007.  Saving templates has been a nightmare..  The fix described below and in the KB article, of saving-as with quotes and the adt extension, do NOT reliably work and we have wasted tons of time.  Even if you follow the procedure, the template does not always save, and worse, sometimes is there, but has no content and is 0 KB in size.  Argh.

We finally caved in and started using the ACT word processor for doing mail merge templates.   This seems to work fine so far.  The only bug we have found so far is that if you copy/paste a URL into the template, it does not appear in mail merged emails sent using Outlook 2007.  However if you use the ACT word processor's Insert >> hyperlink function, the URL  appears in the resulting email.   

Sage never figured out how to have ACT 2008 play nicely with Word 2007 -- don't waste your time following the unreliable fix they suggest.

Does anybody know if ACT 2010 solves this problem, by the way?