Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Backup - ACT open files

Can't Backup - ACT open files

Hi,

I'm a new ACT user (ACT 2009 - version 11).  My backup program gives me the following messages that it cannot backup my ACT database:

Unable to access Jazz.ADF in C:\Users\Lance\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases\

Unable to access Jazz.ALF in C:\Users\Lance\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases\

I closed out ACT and still got the same messages.  I even rebooted my computer and re-ran the backup program and still got the same.

Any suggestions???

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Backup - ACT open files

ACT! uses the MS SQL database software. The database is "owned" by the SQL service. Even though ACT! is not running, the SQL service has locked the database files. When your backup applicatation tries to access the file, SQL says "no go".

You would have to stop the SQL service to release the files, run your backup program, then start the SQL service, for ACT! to work next time.

Fortunately, ACT! has its own backup feature, which does all that for you. The built in backup feature can be run manually (File Backup), or you can use the ACT! Scheduler to do it for you.

Have a look in the Knowledgebase at this article 19214, for details.

Regards
Neil Gilford
ACT! Certified Consultant
Gilford Computer Solutions
neil@gilford.com.au
Platinum Elite Contributor

Neil

I use a backup program called Genie Backup Manager and version 8 of that program will backup open files. It backs up my ACT! database files and I have tested the backups to make sure they can be restored and they work. I agree that the best is to use the ACT! backup, either manually or through the scheduler because they are the easiest to restore. However, there are backup programs that will backup open files and I think they have significant value.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

Roy,

that is true. I have found though that programs that include a module to backup open files are not inexpensive. Users have a choice as to which option best suites their circumstances.

Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au

I tried the ACT scheduler and got the following error message when I clicked the Finish button.

"Error occurred while saving server config file.  Access to the path c:\programDate\ACT\ACT For Windows11\Scheduler\File.xml is denied."

Any ideas?

Copper Elite Contributor

Sounds like permissions on that folder. Check that you can save a file to that folder.
Regards
Neil Gilford
neil@gilford.com.au
Platinum Elite Contributor

I'm not sure what you class as "not inexpensive" but the present price for Genie Backup Manager Pro is $69.95.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Elite Contributor

I agree Roy that price is very reasonable.  I think it was Mike Lazarus that also posted a handy batch file a little

while back where it net stops the SQL instance, copies the database files to a place presumably where someone's

regular backup runs then restarts the SQL instance. That batch file could then be launched with the Windows

scheduler to automate the process for those folks without the ACT! scheduler.  

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Mike posted that here:

http://community.act.com/sage/board/message?board.id=ACT&thread.id=23196

Message Edited by vincenzo on 07-05-2009 06:38 PM