Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Access Database from Single Workstation

Can't Access Database from Single Workstation

I have an act Database that sits on our server, with multiple users connecting from various workstations. We have three licenses, but the users connect from a total of about 6 locations.

I recently tried to set up a new system with ACT!, after sorting out the license keys. Installation went fine, but now it cannot connect to the database - it gives the standard "The Database xxxxxxx cannot be Accessed, etc" message.

It has me perplexed. I had this issue when the database was moved due to a server crash, which I finally sorted out, then moved it back. It works fine at every other workstation, but at this one will not connect. I've tried writing editing copies of PADs to point to network drives, somehow hoping to trick it, but to no avail. 

There is no firewall.

Any suggestions/thoughts/theories?

Silver Contributor

Re: Can't Access Database from Single Workstation

If you can't get on from just one machine, it's got to be a permissions issue.  Can your browse to the database location accross the network?  What operating systems are on the two machines?  Have you tried turnning off UAC if the host machine is a vista or Win7 machine?

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

I can browse to the DB just fine. Both workstations are running Windows XP Professional SP3. The host computer is running Windows Server 2003. 

It's truly bizarre. All of the configuration is identical to the other machines. 

Silver Contributor

It's' got to be permissions somewhere. What about logging as another user on the troubled machine? Just log in, start ACT...

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello mmcmullen,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community. Please see KB Article 19640 for a list of possible causes and solutions for this error. Also, I agree with Jon that if the issue is happening with only one machine then it is most likely a permissions issue. Try granting full control to that Windows user to the database files. You can also see if the user can ping the internal IP address of the server...if they can, then in the .PAD file, change the host name of the server to the internal IP address of the server. Both of these suggestions are mentioned in the KB article.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.