Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can't Access Database After Reinstalling Windows

Can't Access Database After Reinstalling Windows

Hello,

My boss recently had to reinstall Windows Vista on his laptop. Act version 11.0.0.367, running the database on a local machine. When he tried to access the database this morning, we have been getting errors. When choosing a Database to load, we get this following error: "The SQL Database Service is not started". 

After searching this on Google, I came to This Thread. Followed steps in the services.msc to start SQL Server (ACT 7) and get the following error: "The SQL Server (ACT7) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs." which then led me here.

Following these instructions, with the correct admin account and password for the PC, I still get this error: The SQL Server (ACT7) service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs. I still get the same error when trying to load the database in Act: The SQL Database Service is not started.

What can I do next?

Thanks

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can't Access Database After Reinstalling Windows

My experience with that error sequence is that the SQL install is damaged and needs to be removed and reinstalled.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Will reinstalling SQL have any chance of damaging the databases stored on this computer?

Platinum Elite Contributor

No, the database only attaches to the SQL Server, it isn't part of SQL. At this point it's not even attached.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129