Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can someone explain the Task List for me?

Skilled Commentator

Can someone explain the Task List for me?

[ Edited ]

So I've been attempting to figure out the task list recently.

I have several questions about it. 

activity4.png

1. Saving Details

Under the "Details" tab in an Activity, when you COMPLETE the task, it goes to "History" under the contact (or company) associated with it. Is there a way to change it to save under "Notes" automatically instead? 

activity.png

2. Completing Tasks

The only way I've seen to "complete" a task/activity is to click the "Clear" box in the main view. 

activity2.png

Why is there no way to clear an activity in the detailed view?

activity3.png

3. Viewing Activities from the Past and Today

When viewing Tasks, I can see there are several options such as "Today, All Dates, Past" etc. But I do not see the view that would be the most helpful to me, and that is "Today and Past" although there is a "Today and Future."

activity5.png

I end up using "Custom..." choosing a date in 2001, and then click "Today" in the second column. 

activity6.png

Is this what our office will have to do from now on? 

4. Annoying scrolling problem

As funny as this sounds, it is certainly a problem. After changing what kind of Tasks are viewed (Today, Past, etc.), the field is selected, and when you use the scroll wheel on your mouse to view tasks, it toggles the list view instead of scrolling down. I find this confuses my coworkers and I have to explain to them that they must "click away" and resume scrolling. 

activity7.png

Any tips for countering this issue?

5. Reoccuring Activities Don't Specificy Conflict

When I make an activity Weekly (for example, every Thursday) and then make another activity that startsat the same time (6pm) and make it an activity that occurs monthly every 3rd Thursday, they do not say they conflict. Details below.

activity9.png

activity8.png

Is it because one is a high priority and one is a low priority? I'm baffled. If it does this with all of our activities, it could cause some severe problems. 

Feel free to request clarify on any of these questions. 

Thank you so much.

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can someone explain the Task List for me?

davidvkimball wrote:

1. Saving Details

Under the "Details" tab in an Activity, when you COMPLETE the task, it goes to "History" under the contact (or company) associated with it. Is there a way to change it to save under "Notes" automatically instead? 

No.

2. Completing Tasks

The only way I've seen to "complete" a task/activity is to click the "Clear" box in the main view. 

Why is there no way to clear an activity in the detailed view?

Because that view is for editing.

3. Viewing Activities from the Past and Today

When viewing Tasks, I can see there are several options such as "Today, All Dates, Past" etc. But I do not see the view that would be the most helpful to me, and that is "Today and Past" although there is a "Today and Future."

I end up using "Custom..." choosing a date in 2001, and then click "Today" in the second column. 

Is this what our office will have to do from now on? 

Make a feature request for a future version.

4. Annoying scrolling problem

As funny as this sounds, it is certainly a problem. After changing what kind of Tasks are viewed (Today, Past, etc.), the field is selected, and when you use the scroll wheel on your mouse to view tasks, it toggles the list view instead of scrolling down. I find this confuses my coworkers and I have to explain to them that they must "click away" and resume scrolling. 

Any tips for countering this issue?

Click on a task to change the focus to the list instead of the filters.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Skilled Commentator

Thank you, Roy. 

Any tips on problem #5? Ths is the most baffling question of all.

It's "scheduled for" the same person in ACT! AND associated with that same person in ACT!, the ONLY difference is the priorities. Any reason why the dates wouldn't conflict? 

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn
Platinum Elite Contributor

I'm not sure that it can be done because of the way recurring activities are handled. The conflict warning is made at the time the activities are entered in the calendar. Recurring activities aren't make as specific calendar entries at the time they are made, only the first on is entered on the calendar. If there was a confilct at that point I would anticipate a warning. But the possible future conflict between two separate recurring activities would be a whole different issue. However you might want to make a feature request.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129