Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can sharing be combined with parent / child sync to have more than 10 active users in ACT standard?

Copper Super Contributor

Can sharing be combined with parent / child sync to have more than 10 active users in ACT standard?

Can a child db be shared to have more than 1 user logged-on at one time?  I am not sure of the differences or overlaps of sharing vs child / parent syncing.

If I have a parent db, and 9 child db's, I have reached my limit of 10 active users. Can I log-on to the parent computer with the admin user, and then log-on to a child db computer with the same admin user name at the same time?  I think I was able to do that the other day, but that may be why I was getting some strange sync results.

Or can I log-on to 2 child db's on 2 separate computers using the same standard user log-on name at the same time?  That way I could remove 1 use name. That sounds like it would be the same as unpacking the same child db on two different computers and I was told that would create sync problems.

Since 1 of the users will be off site for 6 months and not have any sync abilities, can I publish a child db with their user name active and someone elses inactive. Then I deactivate their user name and turn back on the one I turned off to start with?  That way I could send the child db to the other office in another state and still not have their user name tying up 1 of the 10 active users here. 

All they really need is a separate copy of our database to work with. They already have the 11th license of ACT installed. Can a db created on the parent / child model be backed up and sent to someone else and have them open it as a stand alone de-synced db? So what if the sync is lost. I do not care if their copy become de-synced, just as long as they can use it for 6 months.

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing be combined with parent / child sync to have more than 10 active users in ACT standard?

It is about what you should adhere to under the agreement, EULA, that you knowingly or otherwise agreed to. There are practical limitations as to what functions are can conferred to a non-active user. ACT! non-Premium is designed for a maximum of 10 users just as sharing in a peer to peer network in MS Windows is restricted to 10 users. That ought to be the guideline. To access the EULA (End User License Agreement), go to the Help menu in ACT!, choose 'About ACT!'  and you will be able to open the link to the "View the End-User Licence Agreement' 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing be combined with parent / child sync to have more than 10 active users in ACT standard?

You can log in as User1 on two system, but, as you've noticed, you may get some odd sync results - other than it not being legal.

It sounds like you should consider an upgrade to Premium... you'll also find sync better as you don't have to have the Publisher (parent) open and logged in to sync

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Can sharing be combined with parent / child sync to have > 10 active users in ACT standard?

EULA or not, it does not make financial sense to spend thousands to upgrade to a premium product when our users are just dabblers. They would be lucky to use ACT more than 2 days a week for a total of 1 hour. Installing a license on a machine is one thing. Using it is another. Our whole staff is made up of volunteers. Each one may only come in a couple times a week to enter some data. In most cases the ACT will not even be used on some of these machines in any given week. We know about the Microsoft issue with a 10 user limits on their server environments. That is why we stopped using NT years ago.  Our 501c3 nonprofit was simply throwing money away for all that daily technical help to keep the server running.  We now have a web host for $5.00 a month handling our web, email, and calendar services. If the people selling ACT made it affordable, we would use it. The first year costs for 12 premium licenses and 12 web user access codes would be about $10,000 for just the first year. Obviously if the costs were lowered considerably, web usage of ACT would increase considerably.

Every piece of software we use is licensed. We are sticklers about that and have spent well over $50,000 over the years of donors funds for software. That money could of better been spent helping hurting families. We cannot afford to jump on the ACT web premium bandwagon just so we can sync easier. Unless you know someone willing to donate the $30,000 to dabble with ACT web premium for the next 5 years?

Re: Can sharing be combined with parent / child sync to have > 10 active users in ACT standard?

Actually, Microsoft don't have a 10 user limit on servers... You just need to purchase the extra cals. The 10 user limit is on workstations.

I think you've significantly over estimated the ACT! licensing costs. As you have 10-11 seats of standard, you'd just need to purchase the upgrades to Premium, or to dual access if you wanted web as well.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Can sharing be combined with parent/child sync to have > than 10 users in ACT standard?

Our team of volunteers have laptops they take with them. I checked into having companies provide us with ACT web sync services. They started at about $50 per person per month and they do all the tech work and set up for us. For 12 people, that is $7,200 the first year not counting the cost of the ACT premium which is $400 per license adding another $4,800.  Even with discounts on upgrades and services, that is still far beyond what we can afford for our team.  I was not trying to be negative, just realistic.  Some software companies like Microsoft and TrendMicro offer full version discounts up to 90% off to nonprofits. That is why we use the full MS office suite and PC-cillin. They know we struggle financially to keep the doors open to help people. I checked with our nonprofit license provider (a major company) and they are not able to get anything more than about 10% off ACT.  If you have a nonprofit discount, I would sure like to hear about your program.

Re: Can sharing be combined with parent/child sync to have > than 10 users in ACT standard?

You really don't need to outsource this. You could get a consultant to set it up in your office for much less and no on-going service fees unless you need training/support.

Sage Australia used to have education pricing that they sometimes allowed for non-profit... not sure if they still do, and wouldn't apply in other regions. You might try asking an ACT! Consultant as they might know some tricks your provider doesn't