Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can not log into my database

Can not log into my database

Hi PLEASE HELP!!!! 

I backed up my database for the 1st time yesterday. All seemed to go ok until I tried logging into my database today. When I attempted to log on I get an error message saying that the database "Could not be accessed. In order to access this data base check your network connection & verify that your database server is available it may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server"

I have NO idea what this means....any suggestions???

Silver Contributor

Re: Can not log into my database

First, reboot the computer and try again.  Next, it is  likely that the SQL service has stopped. 

Got to start, Run, services.msc  Look for SQL Server (ACT ).  Right Click and see if you can choose Start.  If it does start, Try again. 

These are the most likely choices.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thank you SOOO much for your response!!!  Unfortunately though it did not work. I get an error message saying "The SQLAgent$ACT7 service on local computer started & then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs" Any suggestions now?

Platinum Super Contributor

Which version of ACT! are you running? 

If it is version 2007 or later, the service you will want to check for is 'SQL Server (ACT7)'.  Look for it in the Services list and ensure the status is 'Started'.  If it is not, right click on it and select 'Start'.  Does it remain started?  If yes, attempt to open your database.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your response! It is Act 2006 & yes I tried that, It is not started & when I try to start it I get an error message saying:

"The SQLAgent$ACT7 service on local computer started & then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs" Any suggestions for that?

Ok - just double checked for ACT! 2006, the correct service to check is 'MSSQL$ACT7'.  The 'SQLAGENT$ACT7' service doesn't have to be started (it isn't started on my test system and I can access a database).

Is the 'MSSQL$ACT7' service started?  Can you start it?

Greg Martin
Sage

Yes Greg the'MSSQL$ACT7 is started...

ok - that is good.  Now to concentrate on the message being issued "Could not be accessed. In order to access this data base check your network connection & verify that your database server is available it may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or server"

This can be caused by several reasons.  Following is an article with steps for resolving the issue, check these first: Damaged PAD file and Firewall blocking (5th and 9th items respectively): KB Article 19640

Greg Martin
Sage

Greg,

It says too...

Damaged .PAD File 
This error may occur if the .PAD file for this database is damaged. To resolve this issue, you can open your database using the .ADF file instead. Prior to opening your database with the .ADF file, you must detach the database from the SQL Server and delete your current .PAD file. Follow the steps below: 

1. Close ACT!
  2. Click the Windows Start button:
    • XP: Click Run. The Run dialog box appears.
    • Vista/Windows 7: Use the Search field.
  3. Enter the command actdiag, and then click OK. The ACT! Diagnostics utility launches: 
When I Enter the command actdiag,it says "no items match your search....

I also disabled my virus protection & took down the firewall...