Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can not backup Act 2009 database or copy it to backup drive

Can not backup Act 2009 database or copy it to backup drive

I continue to get an error message when trying to perform a database backup or copy the database to a backup drive.  Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.  Thanks

Ron

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Can not backup Act 2009 database or copy it to backup drive

Are you using the ACT backup command (or via the scheduler)?  You *cannot* just copy an ACT! database using either Copy from the operating system, or any 3rd party backup program.  Since SQL Server "controls" the database, it's locked.

Here's instructions on how to properly backup:

How to Back Up and Restore an ACT! Database

Now, if you are doing the proper backup, and are receiving an error, please let us know what that is...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

Hi Richard - I am using the ACT backup Command manually - the scheduler function is disabled.  I have read through a number of post on this community forum looking for a solution.  When attempting to do a backup using the backup command, I get an error message telling me the backup was terminated due to lack of space on my hard drive.  Given that there is 118 gigs of free space remaining tells me there is something else going on. 

I have Admin rights to the software, but not to this computer (company issue).  I read one post mentioning that I need to disable the antivirus program - this is something my IT folks will need to address if you believe this may be the cause.  I have also did a "save as" with a new name and tried to do a backup on that database without success.  This issue is also preventing me from doing a standard backup up of my hard drive onto a backup hard drive.

Any suggestions or direction is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ron

Platinum Super Contributor

Can you verify that the space available is on the 'C:' drive?  Even if you are directing the backup file to a different drive (ex: D), it will need to create a temporary file on the C: drive before creating the actual .zip file.

Greg Martin
Sage