Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can no longer create remote database

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can no longer create remote database

Hi all,

I've read a lot of KB articles already and am getting out of ideas now. This is our situation. We have been working for almost a year with publisher database on my W7 machine and 2 subscribers running on XP laptop. All have Act! Pro 2011, SP1 Hotfix 4 installed. 2 subscribers synchronized through Wifi succesfully every week for the past year.

One of the subscribers got a new W7 laptop and we first tried to backup his former subscriber database and restore it on the new W7 laptop. Synchronisation was not possible, because this remote database had been used on another pc already.

I decided to create a new remote database from my publisher database, but then it gave a "Failed to create remote database <database_name>. The system cannot find the file specified. Please contact your administrator" message. Even if I try to create one from Act's demo database I get the same error message. 

I guess it is not a database issue, but somethings seems wrong in Act installation. Therefor I reinstalled Act, even tried it from another Windows User Profile, but always gives the same message.

Anyone out there that can help us out, getting really frustrated here. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Can no longer create remote database

Jim,

I've encountered that issue as well. Start Act! by rightclicking and select 'Run as administrator'. This is probably due to UAC.

Good luck. Remco.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Remco van Nierop,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Here is an article which may address your issue: KB Article 26076

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Dear Greg,

Thanks for your quick reply. I already found this KB and tried it without any luck.... Do you have any other suggestions?

+1 on Remco's issue.

Only in my case the "create remote database" is grayed out.  This occurred after the first Act evaluation test allowed the sync process to work ok, but trashed the contact database in Outlook.  We dropped the evaluation process and recently took it up again, reinstalling ACT 2011.

Following the original process for creating the remote database, we ran into the grayed-out problem.  Right now this is a single license install and seems to be working ok with Outlook, will be trying Connect shortly before doing a build out but we would like to make sure the users can do a laptop sync.

Jim

Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Jim,

I've encountered that issue as well. Start Act! by rightclicking and select 'Run as administrator'. This is probably due to UAC.

Good luck. Remco.

Thanks Remco, that worked.

Copper Contributor

Greg,

Yesterday decided to completely uninstall Act and SQL Act instance. Reinstalled Act 2011 Pro, SP1 and hotfix 4 (what we were using before). First opened Act! demodatabase and while creating remote database, see below error message (error description in dutch means: 'System can't find the specified file'. I even tried to do this from a new Windows User Profile as suggested in of the kb's.

Since I have to setup an additional laptop with a extra remote database, I really should be able to create one. I'm getting rather desperate now...

act_error_msg.png

Platinum Super Contributor

Here is another article with steps that may resolve the issue: KB Article 14482. 

An option to get you up and running (a work-around) would be to put the publisher database on a different computer and try to create the remote.  If successful, you can then move the publisher database back to the original computer.  Here is an article with instructions for moving a publisher: KB Article 19817

Note: Do not attempt synchronization until the publisher has been moved back to the original computer and the remote updated with the correct publisher computer name.

Greg Martin
Sage