Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can my business partner and I share a database if we are in different parts of the country?

Can my business partner and I share a database if we are in different parts of the country?

My business partner and I live in 2 different states but we both have Sage Act! Pro 2012 as 2 separate licenses.  We try to keep our databases as up to date with each other as possible but are trying to find a way to be able to share 1 database since we both use the same accounts.  How can we do this?  

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can my business partner and I share a database if we are in different parts of the country?

The best way would be to setup synchronization between the two systems. Here is a link for how to setup Hamachj so you can sync via the web.

http://tinyurl.com/5cbkr2

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Re: Can my business partner and I share a database if we are in different parts of the country?

Thank you Roy. So will that update in real time or will we have to sync each night?  

Kristin

It would not be real time but you could do a noon and evening sync to keep as up to date as possible. Because it only sync changes it shouldn't take very long each time.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

We would prefer to be able to both be working in the database at the same time and have the database update on both ends each time we hit save.  Is that a possibility?

Not really unless you went to ACT! or the WEB. The only real way for you to do that would be to use a hosting service for the database which would involve a monthly per user hosting charge. I've heard of peoplr trying to use a VPN for remote access to the database but the performance is very poor. Sync is still your best bet.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Contributor

We are an ACT Hosting Provider (also a Quickbooks Hosting Provider) , we host ACT (the full desktop version - not ACT-web (lite).  Everything is real time and works on any internet conected device.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Jon:

I am a long time ACT user and been wanting to use it directly over the ‘net for some time, as opposed to using a master/slave DB and synchrnonization. 

Your post suggests there is no problem using a VPN to access an ACT database from another computer over the internet, and this is what I also understand from the ACT KB article ID 14309 which says (shortened) : Can I Use ACT! With a VPN (Virtual Private Network) Connection?....

....ACT! is supported in the VPN environment. ACT! is designed to open a database and synchronize using a working VPN connection. This was not true in previous versions of ACT!.

Note: ACT! Technical Support will not assist with setting up your VPN. You must have a working VPN connection in order for it to work with ACT

I have my Hamachi set up and it is working.  I am also using Teamviewer to access the accessing computer and transfer files.

I copied the PAD file from the host to the accessing computer, after modifying the “HOST=” entry to reflect the Hamachi host virtual IP address, and also putting in the server port number ie  host="5.XXX.35.XX,52797".  But when I try to open the pad file on the accessing computer I get the message “Failed to open a connection to the database”.  Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Peter