Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can anyone assist me in how I would write a report that details...

Tuned Listener

Can anyone assist me in how I would write a report that details...

I work as a Product Rep and I cover 30 different manufacturers/Principles with thousands of productsMy database consists of over 5000 potential customers,  Several of the Principles require a monthly sheet that details the number my efforts.    The problem is, I have over 30 Principles which total over and would need 30 reports and have multiple meetings and phone calls each monthBecause I am working with so many lines, I'm not sure how to track this.....

Under Contacts, I've added a field "Principles" with a drop down list that records to historyI planned on running a Activity Report but have no way of tagging each Principle to that customer multiple times over the month.

Is there a way to make this workSure would love to get this done without having to pull info from several different placesIt takes several days each month!

Thank you for your help!

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Can anyone assist me in how I would write a report that details...

Ok, let me see if I am with you here...

Database with some 5k sales contacts/prospects/buyers...

You have about 30 product lines that you sell to these 5k contacts...

You want to (easily) generate a report for each of the product lines showing sales actions/activities specific to their product line ONLY during a time period to be specified at runtime...

Each prospect may receive a sales action relating to more than one product line during given period...

Good so far?

The other little detail is that I am guessing that there are different types of activities....

The idea of creating a history generating field isn't bad, but isn't going to show up in Activity related data, only history.  The challenge with history is that you cannot filter on history types or content via Act! reporting engine I do beleive...

Just thinking out loud here...

Keeping in mind that I would likely need to toss in a third party app/addon...

I would likely use history.

Create the appropriate history type for the action - call, meeting, custom types, etc.

I would likely 'stamp' the item with the Principle type by using a code or name in the Regarding field.  All else would be as normal history/activity creation.  I would have a code/keyword used for histories NOT to be contained in the report - i.e. - non-Principle related items.

Using something that would allow creation of complex SQL query - StoneyField Query or Crystal Reports, I would create a query/report that would ask for the activity/history completion date range at runtime.  It would search and group by the regarding field <<Where Regarding does NOT contain the not to be included keyword>>.  The report format would be set to create a new page for each new Principle group (this allows to run the report once, but separate pages for each principle.

Of course include other relevant fields/data...

Am I making any sense here?

Hope this provides some thought fodder...