Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can an Opportunity Yes/No Field be Mandatory

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Contributor
Accepted Solution

Can an Opportunity Yes/No Field be Mandatory

This may not make any sense, but here's why I would like it to be mandatory.

In Opportunities I want to make sure that I schedule an activity.  The default for a new opportunity is blank, but I do not want to complete the entry until an activity has been scheduled.  Today I sold a product that has a 3 year service agreement.  I want to make sure that I don't forget to get the pricing for renewal services starting in August of 2020.

I looked at the field properties for the field, and did not see a "mandatory" option.  Could be that it doesn't make sense for a Y/N field, but that is my explanation.

Many thanks in advance.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎10-09-2017 11:08 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Can an Opportunity Yes/No Field be Mandatory

Because of the way a Yes/No field works it will always have an underlying value so you are not able to make it mandatory.

You could create your own Yes/No field as a Character field with a drop down of Yes and No and make it cannot be blank and only from drop down.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Elite Contributor

Yes/No fields support field triggers.

Perhaps set a field trigger to open an activity series that contains just the one activity. 

Trigger.png

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎10-09-2017 11:08 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Because of the way a Yes/No field works it will always have an underlying value so you are not able to make it mandatory.

You could create your own Yes/No field as a Character field with a drop down of Yes and No and make it cannot be blank and only from drop down.

Bronze Contributor

Thanks - great way to think outside the box.  After creating the Yes No drop down, thought of another way to use drop downs so I don't have to use up the real estate on one tab.  As a technology reseller, it is possible for my customer to have agreements with manufacturers and publishers.  Since the vendors could literally number in the thousands, I thought instead of trying to come up with a label for each agreement, create a drop down of the manufacturers for the label.   So while one customer may have a set of 5 to 10 agreements, the next customer may have as many but from other manufacturers.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013