Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can You Add Columns to Report Template?

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Can You Add Columns to Report Template?

The 2010 History Summary Classic report has 4 preset columns. Is there a way to add/remove columns to reflect custom activity types? Seems crazy that ACT! allows you to customize the activity types yet doesn't allow you to report on those types. Thanks for any advice.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author mrmohn
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can You Add Columns to Report Template?

The following steps are only recommended for someone who is familiar with the report editor.  If you are unfamiliar with the Report Designer, first visit this link: How to manage reports in Act!

Disclaimer: Customized reports are not supported by the Act! Technical Support team, be sure to perform a 'Save As' with the History Classic Summary report to a different name and then edit the new copy leaving the original version intact.

If changing the columns will suffice, here are instructions for updating what the History Classic Summary report will tally:

-          Open the Report editor through the Reports > Edit Template option-          Select the ‘History Summary Classic.Rep’ file and click on Open-          Save this file to a new name (File > Save As) before updating to leave the original intact For this example, the ‘Letter Sent’ value will be replaced with ‘E-mail Sent’. 
  1. If the Properties window is displayed, it can be closed by pressing F4 (or going to View > Properties Window).  This will give more room to display the report itself.
  2. Double click on the Subreport area in the report (under Section 1 Header). 
  3. Expand the Details section
  4. Left click in the Details screen to select that area
  5. Right click in the Details area and select ‘Edit Report Scripts’
  6. Update the appropriate line by replacing the ‘Letter Sent’ statement value with ‘E-mail Sent’. 
  7. Click OK to save the change
  8. Collapse the Detail area.
  9. Now change the view from Histories to History Summary Classic (upper left hand corner).  This will take you back to the main report.
  10. Double click on the text box ‘Letters Sent’, you can now change it to ‘E-mails Sent’.
  11. To test the results: Click on File > select Run > choose filters and click on OK for preview.
  12. Close the preview panel then save the report and close the Report Designer.
  13. You will be able to access the new report from the Report > Other Reports menu.

As Roy notes - adding additional columns is far to intensive to attempt to explain in this medium.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

The report package I sell include a 5-column and and a 7-column version of the History Summary classic report so yes you can add additional columns and you can change the history types tracked. Changing the history types tracked is relatively simple but not obvious, adding columns requires significant VB Script programming in the template.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Solution
Accepted by topic author mrmohn
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

The following steps are only recommended for someone who is familiar with the report editor.  If you are unfamiliar with the Report Designer, first visit this link: How to manage reports in Act!

Disclaimer: Customized reports are not supported by the Act! Technical Support team, be sure to perform a 'Save As' with the History Classic Summary report to a different name and then edit the new copy leaving the original version intact.

If changing the columns will suffice, here are instructions for updating what the History Classic Summary report will tally:

-          Open the Report editor through the Reports > Edit Template option-          Select the ‘History Summary Classic.Rep’ file and click on Open-          Save this file to a new name (File > Save As) before updating to leave the original intact For this example, the ‘Letter Sent’ value will be replaced with ‘E-mail Sent’. 
  1. If the Properties window is displayed, it can be closed by pressing F4 (or going to View > Properties Window).  This will give more room to display the report itself.
  2. Double click on the Subreport area in the report (under Section 1 Header). 
  3. Expand the Details section
  4. Left click in the Details screen to select that area
  5. Right click in the Details area and select ‘Edit Report Scripts’
  6. Update the appropriate line by replacing the ‘Letter Sent’ statement value with ‘E-mail Sent’. 
  7. Click OK to save the change
  8. Collapse the Detail area.
  9. Now change the view from Histories to History Summary Classic (upper left hand corner).  This will take you back to the main report.
  10. Double click on the text box ‘Letters Sent’, you can now change it to ‘E-mails Sent’.
  11. To test the results: Click on File > select Run > choose filters and click on OK for preview.
  12. Close the preview panel then save the report and close the Report Designer.
  13. You will be able to access the new report from the Report > Other Reports menu.

As Roy notes - adding additional columns is far to intensive to attempt to explain in this medium.

Greg Martin
Sage

I understand it is hard to access the adding columns part.  I have one question.  the subreport part uses cnctColumnA as the variable and I figured out how to modify that name. I even figured out how to add an E to each line using similar programing and a custom system field label.  now my question is this.  the sum at the bottom of the page uses colA not columnA.  is it possible to get to the programming that shows were columnA is linked to colA without the SA password..

and Roy, I am not itnerested in buying your prepared reports.  I would rather do it on my own or get the sa password and do it on my own then.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The answer to your question is yes. It's all done with VB scripting.

FYI, it took me over 10 hours to reverse engineer the History Summary Classic report. I wish you luck.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129