Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can Not Synch Single User ACT! 2009 Version 11 running Vista Without a Network!?

Copper Contributor

Can Not Synch Single User ACT! 2009 Version 11 running Vista Without a Network!?

I find no reference to synchronize the remote database to the master database in a ACT! 2009 single user system without a LAN, Network, or Web service. Even if they reside on the same computer.  Am I having a Homer Simpson moment, or are these tools most often used on multi-user corporate systems where VPNs, intranets, and web servers are the norm? How do you synch a single user ACT! datablse if all you have is email, CD or memory stick?
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Can Not Synch Single User ACT! 2009 Version 11 running Vista Without a Network!?

Dear Homer,

I guess the question is; Why would you want to?.

However....

The nature of sync is of parent/child or in ACT! terminology, Publisher/Subscriber. There is no reason that with ACT! Premium and sync services installed and running, that a sync, initiated at the subscriber on the same machine, won't run. You could then take the Subscriber, disconnect from the SQL instance and save to CD or USB. What next? Connect to the ACT! SQL instance on some other machine where ACT! of same version is installed? Yes could do that and make changes to the data  and disconnect/re-connect back on first machine and sync. That would work...Why bother?

Within the EULA ( End User License Agreement) you are allowed a named user to have ACT! installed on a wkstn and a laptop under the one license and sync between them via a LAN or the Internet...Seems easier to me..;-)

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Contributor

Re: Can Not Synch Single User ACT! 2009 Version 11 running Vista Without a Network!?

Hello Graeme,

The point I want to make is that I do not have ACT! Premium, a network or a lan.

I do have a desktop, alaptop, the internet, a memeory stick and a CD to play with.

I can generate a database, set up a sync file, create a remote database, unpack it and edit it.

But I can not sync it with the main database even when they are on the same machine.

The Publisher is set to receive the sync signal.

The Subscriber tries to sync but can not find the Publisher.

What needs to be done so the Subscriber can find the Publisher on the same machine?

Bronze Elite Contributor

With ACT! non-Premium you don't have sync services available to you. So you are left with application sync which requires ACT! GUI open to sync at the publisher. You can't have both publisher and subscriber open on the same machine.

Now that you mention that you have two machines, why not connect them with a LAN cable (swap-over cable) and have a peer to peer network, you don't need a LAN switch, or upgrade to Premium.  

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Platinum Elite Contributor

Upgrade to the premium version. You can't so a same machine sync with the non-premium version.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Platinum Elite Contributor

If you have two machines that are both connected to the Internet, then you can also set up sync through a basic VPN, like Hamachi. It's easy to setup and secure. Please see KB Article 23333 for instructions.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.