Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I use a multi-select list field when defining fields for a company record

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Can I use a multi-select list field when defining fields for a company record

I have read a number of posts - also this one:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT/Convert-Drop-Down-List-To-Multi-Select-List/m-p/65618#M33373

but have not been able to find an answer to my problem.

When I create a field for CONTACTS e.g. State  and have various values - AL, AK, MI, MT, NY, NJ, PA etc. I can define the drop down list and on the next screen I can "Allow Multi-Select"

When I create a field for COMPANIES - e.g. State  and have various values - AL, AK, MI, MT, NY, NJ, PA etc. I can define the drop down list - on the next screen there is NO OPTION to "Allow Multi-Select"

I need this option to work so that I can at a glance see if the company has offices in more tha one state and specify the appropriate states.

I wil appreciate any help I can get - Thank you

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author belanitin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can I use a multi-select list field when defining fields for a company record

Ah - having listed your steps helped greatly!  You are creating the field through the Layout Designer - I have tested it this way and received the same results you are experiencing (Next button is grayed out). 

To get your field set up correctly, you will need to go through the Tools > Define Fields option where the Next button will be available. 

I will submit this as an issue to the Development team.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Contributor

Re: Can I use a multi-select list field when defining fields for a company record

As with the previous reply to you you need to go to define fields and add a dropdown. On the second page then you will have an option to make the field multi select. I have just tested this in version 12 and it is available but not sure what version you are using.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Hi

Thanks for you reply - I am using Sage Pro 2011 and have not been able to do this - specifically for company records - not contacts. Any other suggesstions would be helpful.

I think Sage Act Pro 2011 - is version 13 - I have also applied the SP and Hot Fixes

Hello Belanitin,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

I've tested this in Act! 2011 with SP1 and hotfix applied and found the option available.  To double check the steps:

- create a drop-down list

- create a new field

- on 'Enter Field Name' screen > enable use drop-down option and select the appropriate drop-down list

- on 'Enter Field Name' scree > click Next > you should be on the 'Customize Field and List Behavior' screen. 

options: Limit to List

Allow Multi-Select

Show Descriptions

Enable Type-ahead

Are these the steps you are taking?  

What screen do you see when you click Next on the Field screen?

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you for your reply gmartin

but ...

"'Enter Field Name' scree > click Next >" - The next button is grayed out (I am trying to create the new field via the Company Layout or use the existing / predefined "State" field

Here is a list of steps I carried out: using two scenarious I have tried to add "State" as a multi select drop down

Scenario 1
Trying to use the existing "State" Field
1. Click Tools, Design Layouts, Company - this opens up the company layout
2. Right Click next to "Company Info" Add Tab - This create a new Tab "Tab1"
3. Click somewhere on the new tab "Tab1", Click on Field on the toolbar on the left.
4. Click and drag the cross to place the new field - "Select Field" windows opens giving me a choice of ponly 7 fields. The existing "State" field does not show up
(see screen shot 1)

Screenshot 1 http://img811.imageshack.us/i/screenshot1yi.png/

Continue to Scenario 2

5.Click on New Field, Name it "State1" , Character Type
6. Check Allow Blank, Check Use drop down list, Choose States.

(Sidenote - I have created a new drop down list Called "States1" and tried it out too)

Here is the problem - The "Next" button is grayed out - which would give me further options. The only option I have is Finish
(see screen shot 2)

Screenshot 2 : http://img338.imageshack.us/i/screenshot2wc.png/

I will appreciate any help I can get.

Solution
Accepted by topic author belanitin
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Ah - having listed your steps helped greatly!  You are creating the field through the Layout Designer - I have tested it this way and received the same results you are experiencing (Next button is grayed out). 

To get your field set up correctly, you will need to go through the Tools > Define Fields option where the Next button will be available. 

I will submit this as an issue to the Development team.

Greg Martin
Sage

gmartin

thank you for taking the time to go through all this and your reply. Will do as you mentioned. regards - we can mark this as solved for now