Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I use 'Restore As' a main DB on different PC

Copper Contributor

Can I use 'Restore As' a main DB on different PC

Before my primary PC partially failed I did a main Database Back Up to an external drive. The PC was sent out of town for warranty repairs and I assume I will get it back in a week or two. The failure is not hard drive related (I hope). My wife continues to use her PC remote DB. We are networked for our home business.

I have an old, spare PC with Act Pro 2013 installed so I tried to do a Restore As to revive the main database from the external drive. All data was restored but I gave  it a new name (mistake?). So now the remote db will not sync and on the newly named main db I get an error when I choose Accept Incoming Syncs: "Failed to setup local sync entity. Datastore is inaccessible".

On the remote PC db I changed the name of the location of the main database to the different PC. But, on the remote PC db,  I can't change the name to the re-named, main db on the different PC.

Can I try: "Complete a Move from Another computer" option from the File, Move Database option? I didn't realize there was a formal procedure to move a main db.

Or can I recreate a main database from the remote database?

Tom

Bronze Contributor

Re: Can I use 'Restore As' a main DB on different PC

[ Edited ]

Hello Tom.

You did the right thing as doing a restore as, but as you might have guessed, it is now the main database.

To continue with a remote db sync, you would have to create a new remote set from the now main database.

Hope this helps. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Copper Contributor

Re: Can I use 'Restore As' a main DB on different PC

[ Edited ]

Oh jeez, good point. I should have realized that.

Thank You John Purdy.

Tom