Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I use Dropbox with ACT?

Copper Contributor

Can I use Dropbox with ACT?

Clearly the future of computers, software, and the internet is the use of "cloud computing".  I have been an ACT user since the begining (1986), and have always had to back up my database files on a disk or stick, and nowadays I have to "restore as" in order to restore it to another computer.  How sweet would it be if I could use a program like Dropbox, and automatically be able to log on anywhere and access my database.  Has anyone been successful using a cloud program like Dropox for ACT?  Please let me know how you did it.  Thanks, and Happy New Year to all. 

Silver Contributor

Re: Can I use Dropbox with ACT?

Dropbox is a file storage method and will not work for hosting an ACT database "in the clout". With ACT the database files must be attached via SQL and either shared over a network or virtual network or accessed over a web or thin clinet. 

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

You could use Dropbox as a means of storing backups in the cloud, but NOT for accessing the data. Dropbox is ok for simple files, but NOT for live databases.

To have ACT! used across multiple remote systems, you need to use either sync or web access.
Copper Contributor

Thank you both for the answer....I appreciate it....All the best....

Nickel Super Contributor

YES! You can use Dropbox with ACT!

With the Scan and Organize addon for ACT!, you can link each contact, group or company in your database to a local Dropbox folder. Since the path of the folder is written into the ACT! database, any other users who has the exact same path to these folders will have access to the Dropbox synced files. www.scanandorganize.com

The addon also allows you to scan as well as drag and drop documents into the ACT! linked folder within the Organizer tab. If the linked folder is the Dropbox folder or subfolder, the files are automatically synced to your other computers who are the Dropbox.

Scott Abboud
Allied Financial Software, Inc.
www.software4advisors.com
Copper Contributor

you can certainly put the act database files into your LOCAL dropbox directory eg c:\server.

you can then share that folder on your LAN eg map to \\myserver\databases

this is just simple filesharing and dropbox should not be too worried by it hopefully (i'm sure someone will correct me)

however the dropbox user would expect the database to be backed up when he has finisehed with it. unfortunately some process of act or sql locks the file and so dropbox does not get the access it needs to back it up to the cloud

Does anyone know what process/service to stop to let dropbox work occasionally to do a backup?

it is NOT a good idea for someone else to then use a sync version as LOTS of conflicting copies will be created.

so you can only use dropbox as a backup...providing the database can be unlocked. I;ve done this sort of thing with outlook pst files and it works fine.

Bronze Super Contributor

I use Dropbox but not for Act! backup because I think it would take too much time to upload a couple of GBs at 2MBs.

Does anyone know if this causes them a problem?

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 
Copper Contributor

the problem will be with the upload time of such a large file