Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I save just a portion of my custom fields?

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Can I save just a portion of my custom fields?

I am using ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1

I would like to save a portion of my layout for someone that is starting to work for me. I know how to do that and have done so. I have probably a couple hundred custom fields and he does not need them all. He needs say 50 or so. Is there a way to go thru the my custom fields and save just the ones that I would like him to have? The purpose of this would be so that he does not need to go and create 50 fields from scratch.

If I am able to do this, how would I go about saving what I need him to have and exporting/importing etc. We do not shard a db at the moment.

Thanks,

Alan

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author epalanb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Can I save just a portion of my custom fields?

Alan,

You can't perform a 'save as' with just a portion of the fields, it will include all fields. 

It would be easier to save a copy containing all 100 custom fields and delete out the ones not needed, or you can just leave them in the database and remove them from the layout.  50 extra/blank fields isn't going to affect the performance of the database.

Greg Martin
Sage

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author epalanb
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Super Contributor

Alan,

You can't perform a 'save as' with just a portion of the fields, it will include all fields. 

It would be easier to save a copy containing all 100 custom fields and delete out the ones not needed, or you can just leave them in the database and remove them from the layout.  50 extra/blank fields isn't going to affect the performance of the database.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

Thanks Greg.

That was the type of answer I was looking for

Alan

Astute Commentator

Greg or anyone else,

Should I be saving a blank copy of the DB or should I be backing up the DB & Restoring to his computer? I don't really know the difference. I tried at first to copy but that did not work. I then backed up the DB and restored it on the other computer. It seemed to work, but now it is saying that I don't have enough licences to run this db. I am not trying to do anything I shouldn't be able to do. I have a single user license and he has a single user license but I think it is thinking that he is trying to have 2 users on the same computer. How do I solve this?