Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I install ACT using a full SQL 2005 server instead of Express?

Can I install ACT using a full SQL 2005 server instead of Express?

We just received our licensed copy of ACT!2009 Standard.  I was going to install it on a Windows 2003 Server that we already have in place with SQL 2005 Enterprise installed on it.  When I go to install ACT! however, it appears that it insists on installing SQLExpress, which I DON'T want to do......Any suggestions besides having to find a different server that doesn't have SQL installed?  Thanks in advance.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can I install ACT using a full SQL 2005 server instead of Express?

You indicate that you have the standard version of ACT! 2009 and that version will only use MSSQL Express.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Ok thanks.  So that means that I have to install ACT ! ona server that currently does not have SQL installed, correct?  I don't think SQL 2005 and SQLExpress can coexist (peacefully) on the same machine.....I just need to get ACT installed on a server so my 5 users can share the database.  Thanks.

I believe they can. ACT! installs its own instance of SQL so I don't think there is any conflict.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I have a question for you.....I'm not sure if this user ordered the wrong product or not, but here is what we want to do:

- Install ACT!2009 on a networked server and have a central database containing all our customer info

- Install the ACT!2009 client on 5 workstations that will all use this same database and be able to modify it.

I think that should be possible with ACT!2009 Standard, no?  I've installed it on the server and created a new database.  However when I go to install it on a workstation, it still goes through installing SQL Express and creating a new database, etc...How do I install the client on the workstations and point them to the database on the server?  Thanks.

Have the database shared on the server and then each workstation can browse to the server and open the shared database. You can't avoid installing MSSQL express on each workstation. You could uninstall it after the initial install but that will make ACT! slow to open and then they would not be able to have a local database. You didn't indicate how many licenses was purchased but ACT! requires a separate license for each named user.

In my opinion, the user did order the wrong version. The standard version has a user limit of 10 and that can't be expanded. Also, if they get the premium version instead they may be able to have it use the MSSQL standard on the server on the server rather than the express version.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

The Premium versions of ACT! can use your full SQL 2005 on the server as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2144...

If you don't have Premium, there is no problem with Express and standard versions of SQL 2005 on the same system.

On the workstations it will always install SQL 2005 Express as it needs it for some local functions like email.

For some tips on the network install you might have a read of this:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/02/sharing-act-network-or-sync.html