Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I do this upgrade?

Can I do this upgrade?

Before I jump into this upgrade I need your help.

I am currently running Windows XP 32 bit system, Office 2003, and Act 2007.  I want to upgrading to Windows 7's 64 bit system with Office 2007 and install Act 2009.  Can I move my highly modified data base to the new 64 bit system from the old 32 bit system? What do I need to know?  Is it as simple as copying my back up files to a CD and moving them to the new system?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can I do this upgrade?

You'll probably want to upgrade to ACT! 2010 which is about to be released.... while it doesn't "officially" support Win7 yet (because it's so new), I've been running the beta under Win7 with no issues.

Once you have ACT! installed on the new machine, you can move the database as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

Mike,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I read the article you suggested but I have several questions.  Looking over the article I can copy and transfer my database to the new computer and then load the program and restore the database.

First problem I see is that the new computer will be a 64 bit and Act 2007 can not be installed on a 64 bit machine. So I will not be able to install and update the program to Act 2009.

Since I will not be able to do an update, my only choice is to do a clean install with Act 2009 on the 64 bit machine.  So my second question is can I install Act 2009 and use the restore feature in Act 2009 to restore the Act 2007-32 bit files into the new Act 2009-64 bit system? If this is possible this would solve 90% of the upgrade.

Now let’s throw another log onto the fire.  My Act 2007 is on Window XP 32 bit not Vista if that makes a difference.

As for Windows 7 since I just received Act 2009 I would want to try that first before I spend more money on a new version which according to you (I did not know this) 2010 does not even support Windows 7.  Windows 7 does support Vista so I hope that Act 2009 will work.

Thanks

Jack

Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, you will NEED ACT! 2009 or 2010 for x64 operating systems.

Yes, ACT! 2009/2010 will be able to convert the eralier version - just install the new version and restore.

There is no actual difference in the database between x32 and x64, so it doesn't matter you have x32 now.

If you just got ACT! 2009, you may be entitled to a free upgrade to ACT! 2010... I'd get that and do the clean install with the latest version

Quite a few (including me) have been running ACT! 2010 on Windows 7 with no problems. It's only not "officially" supported because it's a new OS and only released this month so still needs to go through full QA testing.

ACT! 2009 won't be fully tested or supported on Win7, so you'd be much better to just go with ACT! 2010 - especially if you can get the free or cheap upgrade. I'd suspect that any issues found that are specific to Win7 will only be fixed in ACT! 2010