Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I delete the old files in the Attachments folder? Most of them are over 2 years old

Can I delete the old files in the Attachments folder? Most of them are over 2 years old

We have ACT 2006 Premium in SQL 2000.  It is working fine.  But I would like to trim down the size.  Most of it just isn't needed any more.

Questions:

Can I cut or move or delete any of the files in the Attachment folder?  There are over 12,000 files and most are over 2 years old.

What are these files?  Are these created because someone attached a file to a contact?  Or are these here because someone is Syncing their ACT database?  In ACT! 2006 Premium, when someone makes an attachment does it copy the file here or does it just make a pointer to the original file location?

Is there anyway to Archive this stuff?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

Bronze Contributor

Re: Can I delete the old files in the Attachments folder? Most of them are over 2 years old

I don't run Premium, but I believe the handling of attachments is the same.

When you attach a file to a contact, it is making another copy seperate from the  original.  Likewise, when you attach a document, it too makes a copy. 

Obviously, if you remove older files and then one day do a search for something that had been deleted, it won't be there.  Of course, you should keep a spare copy of the db before you delete the files.  You can also use the | Tools | Database Maintenance | Remove Old Data.  The same caution should be follwed -- keep a working backup copy.

If you delete the old attachments and do not run the "remove old data" from the tools program, you should see reference to attachments, but the attachment won't be found when you click on opening an old eMail, for example.

Statistically, 80% of all data becomes stale after 90 days.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Re: Can I delete the old files in the Attachments folder? Most of them are over 2 years old

Thanks for the explanation.  However, I ran the REMOVE old data tool, and selected to remove old "Document Tab Entries" older than 180 days, it ran for 30 seconds, said finished.  It recommended I reindex, which I did.  And I still have 12,766 attachments.

What did I miss?

Eric