Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can I add multiple contacts to a specific group if my list of those contacts is in Excel doc?

Can I add multiple contacts to a specific group if my list of those contacts is in Excel doc?

Here's my situation.  I have a list of 400 or so email addresses that I know are no good.  The list is in an Excel document. The contacts are already in ACT! with those email addresses.  I'd like to add all of the Contacts to a new Group I have created.  Is this possible?  There's no way to do a lookup of the 400 people in ACT! because there's no common feature.

Many thanks!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Can I add multiple contacts to a specific group if my list of those contacts is in Excel doc?

Hello ntoren1,
Try this:
- Backup your ACT! database
- Add a new character field to your database called Invalid Email or something similar
- Add a column to your spreadsheet with the same name as the new field. Make the value of all contacts in that column "Yes"
- Import the spreadsheet into ACT!, making sure you map that new field.
- On the Contact merge options during the import, choose the Merge option for duplicate contacts.
- After the import, the new field for these contacts should be populated with the Yes value.
- Lookup these contacts by that field and value
- Highlight all the contacts on the resulting list, right-click and choose Add Contacts to a Group - add to your new Group

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Can I add multiple contacts to a specific group if my list of those contacts is in Excel doc?

I'm following steps to create a field and that option is greyed out.  Is this because I am working on a remote database?  Trying to "Lock" the database doesn't seem to do anything either although that feature isn't greyed out.

Correction, I am able to Lock the database, but Tools > Define Fields is still greyed out.

Unfortunately you cannot add a new field from a remote database. The field would have to be added on the main database and synced over. As an alternative, you can use one of the default "User" fields found under the User Fields tab on the contact record, assuming they are still there and not already in use. They are called User 1, User 2, User 3, etc.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I took a few steps on the Parent Database and looks like that was my issue: not possible on the Remote database.  Creating a new field and doing the layout looks intensive and intimidating.  Should I just man-up and try this or is there a good chance I'd screw up an entire database?

It's not that bad. You can put the new field under one of the tabs if you don't want it to show on the main layout.

Greig Hollister

Copper Elite Contributor

You also don't even need to add to the layout - you can still lookup on that field.  You can also just add a column for it in the Contact List View.  One more option would be to create Dynamic Membership for this group and have the criteria be Invalid Email = Yes - then they'll automatically be added to the group.

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

Thanks, Kris and Greig.  I feel like I am close on the Import but ACT! doesn't seem to be pulling the info in.  Is an email address enough info to pull from the Excel document in order to match up with a Contact record?

First I tried Greig's suggestion to create a new field called Invalid Email in ACT!.  At the top of the Excel column I have this same header, "Invalid Email."  In this column I have written "Yes" for all the contacts.  When setting up the Import wizard, I can map the Invalid Email field in Excel to match the Invalid Email field in ACT! so I must be close.  But after I complete the import, there's no data in any contact entry in this field.

I then tried using an existing field, "User 6." I've been telling ACT! to put the word "yes" in the User 6 field but nothing shows up when I finish the import wizard.

Any tricks I might be missing?

[ Edited ]

A couple of points:
- Make sure you have enabled Duplicate Checking in the ACT! preferences - choose "Contact" as the first field to check, then perhaps "Company" and either "Phone" or "Email" as well (can do up to 3 fields)
- Make sure you have mapped the Contact name field as well as the fields you selected in the duplicate checking options and the field(s) you wish to update
- For the contact merge options (during the import), make sure you have selected "Merge" on the left and "Do not add" on the right

Greig Hollister