Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Can Act 2008 calculate?

Can Act 2008 calculate?

In our old version of Act 2006 someone had devised clever little vbs files that would calculate pricing for a contact. They don't work with the 2008 version. I would like to be able to put in several fields of costs that would be able to added into a field for the total. Can I make that happen and how would I go about implementing that? Thanks in advance.
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Can Act 2008 calculate?

You would need an addon to do this.  The are a few that will do what you want at www.actaddons.com

Tom

Can anyone suggest an add-on that will take two or more numerical fields and with one button click add them together? (Looked through the add-on page and couldn't tell if any there would do that.)
Nickel Contributor

have a look at these two. I havent used either but they should do what you want.

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Thanks very much, I'll have a look at them. Sure would be nice to have that feature built in.
Nickel Contributor

Your welcome. I use another ad in from exponenciel, the quote/invoice maker.  It is an excel exporter which can also run both ways (dats to excel, data back from excel) which, if you find yourself needing more complex stuff, might come in handy.

I look at it this way. Not everyone needs all sorts of added functionality in their contact manager.  ACT concentrates on the basics of contact management and, with a few hiccups here and there, have done it very well. They conentrate on the base finctionality which keeps costs down.  A sophisticated contact manager for approx. $200? wow!

Now, depending on what kind of functionality you need in your situation, there are all sortsof addons for SO many different things. Emagine if ACT added all this different stuff. That'd be nice for folks who use it. but it would cost quite a bit more and for folks who dont use those things, it'd be a waste. 

ACT is part of a system. It's a tool.  And should be budgeted for, like everything else in the company. I looked at what I wanted my contact manager to do and put together ACT along with several addons to customize it to my needs. STILL much cheaper than going with other solutions.

No im not affiliated with ACT in any way, just a happy customer.

Matt

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Copper Contributor

I agree think this feature should be built in.  Try Goldmine

Well, after looking at the pricing for either of the addons we won't be able to use either of them.  We have 8 users in a small business. Too cost prohibitive. Calculators for everyone!  Goldmine is a bit cost prohibitive as well. ;-)
Avid Listener

I've been having good experiences with Abacus (Matt posted a link above), both concatenating text fields and adding arithmetic fields.  I'm not a programmer (to put it mildly), but Abacus has lots of examples on its website that I use as models.  They also have a 60-ish page user manual, which is good (but in places a little deep for me). 

Do I wish all of this was built-in with ACT?  Sure, but it isn't....