Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Calendar Synch Lacking in functionality

Calendar Synch Lacking in functionality

Having used Google Calendar to synch seamlessly to my Outlook Calendar for collaborative work with my associates, I thought we might be able to move things up a notch and utilize the ACT! to Outlook synch and take GC out of the mix.  In order to do this I upgraded everyone to Act! 2011 but had problems syncing to Outlook 2003.  After reading a number of posts, I upgraded everyone to Outlook 2010, but still ran into failed synchronization attempts.  I finally created some a dummy database in ACT! 2011 and a Test profile in Outlook 2010 per some advice I read on the Internet and realized that the syncing mechanism works.  I probably have a corrupted database or Outlook profile that I will need to rebuild or start over with, if I decide to go that route....BUT after reviewing the results, I wonder if all of the fuss is worth it.

When you set a meeting, to-do, task, follow-up, etc. in ACT! , it will show up in your ACT! calendar as something like this: "John Doe - Meeting in his office."  Once it transfers to Outlook however, you lose the contact identifier and all you see is: "Meeting in his office".  For me, this renders the results almost useless, as I get dozens of entries a day from ACT!.  I would have to go back into ACT! to see what who the clanedar entry referred to and thus "What's the point in synching in the first place?"

This was a complete waste of time,and money in upgrading to ACT! 2011 and Outlook 2010.. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Calendar Synch Lacking in functionality

There are also still some actual bugs in it other than just the lack of functionality.

They'll probably get it right by ACT! 2015
Bronze Contributor

Personally I have given up on the synch from ACT to Outlook and generally recommend using a 3rd party tool from Companionlink as the options you are looking for have existed for some time. worth a look www.companionlink.com

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

Thanks Paul.  It looks like I would need the Pro version of CompanionLink  for what I need to do.  At $129.95 that is about what I paid to upgrade to the latest version of Act! 2011 Pro (which was suppose to have this feature).  I think I am done upgrading for awhile.

It's amazing that there are so many third party providers that can build these add-ons to ACT! and get them to market relatively easily, but Sage doesn't have the where-with all to build the functionality within.  Perhaps that is their business model and they are living off of the royalties.