Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Calculated Fields Possible or Not?

Calculated Fields Possible or Not?

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a customized screen layout, for which I'll require a few sub-total and grand-total fields (which obviously contain the sum of a number of line item amounts).

My question is: can ACT! 2011 handle this in it's "stock" or "our-of-the-box" state...or does it require some SDK code written, or a third-party add-on toold to be used.

If this cannot be achieved out-of-the-box, then I'd appreciate any and all help with the required code, or suggestions for the best add-on tool for this task.

Thanks,

Gordon

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Calculated Fields Possible or Not?

I'm having to read between the lines here but I suspect that you are trying to create a one-to-many relationship by adding fields to the contact table. If so, you should investigate using a custom table. This is a capability of the ACT! program done through the SDK. there are several plugins that aid in the design and use of custom tables.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Mike,

That's the one I seemed to have found as well, when doing a search for "ACT! calculated fields".

Now, that add-on seems to be specific only to creating calculated fields. Do you think it would make more sense to invest instead on an add-on that allows for the creation of custom tables and screen layouts...so that way the "calculated fields" functionality will be part and parcel of the overall package...and I can do more with this add-on?

If a "custom tables" add-on makes more sense, which one would best allow for both, the creation and customization of tables and screen layouts, as well as the creation of calculated fields?

Best,

Gordon

Roy,

Yes indeed...it is a one-to-many relationship that I'm looking at creating, and the preocess requries for the creation of a few additional fields in the contact table and screen layout...and in addition, a whole lot of additional fields in a secondary table/screen - where there would be many transactional records (some for products, and some for services) for the one contact record. For the "many records" container, I had thought of using the opportunities table and screen layout, but I guess I would have to go down the SDK path in order to get/use calculated fields.

That being said, I believe a custom table add-on may indeed be my best bet.

Thanks,

Gordon

As Mike said, there are three main choices. So far most of the work with custom tables I've done with TopLine Designer. Because the third party plugin provides the user interface and any additional features I would suggest that you look at the feature set of all three that Mike suggested. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129