Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CSV Import into ACT - says complete but contacts are no where to be found

CSV Import into ACT - says complete but contacts are no where to be found

Hey Everyone -

Just like the title says, I have made my CSV and imported (using the import wizard) by contact into act.  I have done this before and for some reason any time I try now, it says it was completed, but then the contacts are  no where to be found.  I've followed all the necessary steps described in this places:

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15208

http://youtu.be/OF1GltXZxrw

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Premium/Problem-importing-contacts-from-Excel/td-p/49667

these are all new contacts for the database, no merging needed and their companies are not loaded into act either.  I have tried two different CSV files because I thought maybe the absecnes in some columns were causing a problem.  Example List1.csv has company, last name, first name, address line1, address line 2, city, state, zip, email, phone, website, and LIst2.csv has company, last name, first name, email, website because I thought the complete absence of data from list1 might be causing a problem.  

Anyways, I do all the steps and then nothing.  The only thing that has been different since my last mass import from a CSV file (about 200 contacts) was that we recently got a ScanShell800NR automatic business card scanner.  I'm wondering if the scanner is causing problems but it shouldn't. Its unplugged and in a desk. 

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm running this version: Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

and the database is on our server.  I had all other users log out as well thinking it was a multple log in thing.

Thanks for the help everyone,

AJ

Re: CSV Import into ACT - says complete but contacts are no where to be found

forgot thist stuff.... windows 7 excel 2010

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello AJCsurf,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

To help resolve and/or isolate the issue:

- Does field mapping screen (in Import Wizard) show the fields/data correctly?

- Disable Duplicate Checking > attempt import

- Attempt to import on computer that hosts the database

- Create new CSV file manually, with just a few test records > will it import successfully on host or workstation?

- Create new 'test' database > attempt import of original file and test csv file into it

Greg Martin
Sage

Yes, I made them identical so it automatically detects them.

Our server is down, I'll try that in a bit and let you know what happens

The database is on the server

- Create new CSV file manually, with just a few test records > will it import successfully on host or workstation?

I tried that with just three:  Kelly slater, Taj Burrow, (more surfers etc) with just the categories first name and last name and that didn't work either.

- Create new 'test' database > attempt import of original file and test csv file into it

I will try that once we are up and running here

Thank you for your help, it is much appreciated.

AJ

gmartin wrote:

Hello AJCsurf,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

To help resolve and/or isolate the issue:

After we got the server up and running i tried this.  Still the same, no import worked, on all of my CSVs.

This actually worked but only in my "test" database.  What was weird was that when I opened up "import wizard" in my new database, it sat there and thought for a while then it said "scanner is okay" in a dialog box.  This is something that has never happened.  I thought maybe it was the fact that the scanner being disconnected is the issue so I closed act, inserted the scanner and reopened act.  I tried the import again (with and without duplicate checking) and still nothing. 

One thing I noticed on the import wizard is that I can import an act database... coudl I import that test database into the current one or will it screw it up?

thanks,

AJ

I think importing database to database is an excellent next step.

Of course, before any import - be sure you have created a backup of the database.
Greg Martin
Sage

Import didn't work with duplicate checking on and off.  This was the database to database import.  Any other ideas?

Certainly it appears to be a database specific issue. Try creating a backup of the database (File > Back Up > Database), then restore it using the 'Restore As' option to create a new database (File > Restore > Database > Restore As). Attempt to import into the restored copy of the database.
Greg Martin
Sage

I backed it up and then wen to file>restore> and there is database and personal files.  Database is grayed out and I can't select it.

Any ideas?

Do you have Administrator level authority in the database? If not, have the person who does have Admin authority perform the restore.

Also try: close the current database using File > Close. The ACT! program will still be open > attempt the restore (File > Restore > etc.).
Greg Martin
Sage