Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

CREATING OPPORTUNITY REPORTS BASED ON DATES OTHER THAN THE CREATE DATE

CREATING OPPORTUNITY REPORTS BASED ON DATES OTHER THAN THE CREATE DATE

Unless I have missed something very obvious, all Opportunity reports in ACT! (version 17) use a record's CREATE date in determining the report filtering options.

Unfortunately, the CREATE date is entirely misleading for us because we have added many historical records to our Opportunity database -- which means that when we run a report for Opportunity activity wihin a specified date range, the report includes all Opportunities CREATED within that date range, not just Opportunities that truly belong to that date range.  This is a huge problem for us!

Can anyone recommend a tool that I can use (or acquire) which will filter the Opportunity data based on dates or fields other than the CREATE date?  Or, more broadly, is there any tool that can be used to filter data based on ANY field (as can be done when using the Advanced Query function)?  I'm hoping to avoid something complex like Crystal Reports...  

Thank you for any advice!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: CREATING OPPORTUNITY REPORTS BASED ON DATES OTHER THAN THE CREATE DATE

Opportunity based reports don't use the create date for filtering. Open opportunities use the estimated close date for filtering and closed opportunities use the actual close date.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you for that info, Roy.  

I now realize that the more pertinent part of my question is how/what tool I can use/acquire in order to filter Opportunity reports based on fields other than the ones you mention (estimated close date or actual close date).   

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

There isn't any tool in ACT! to change the filtering. Most of the work-arounds are less than friendly. The only one for opportunity based reports is to manipulate the estimated close date. Another is to create the report as a contact report with an opportunity sub-report then you can do a lookup in the opportunities using the list view filtering, select the records found and do a lookup selected which will create a lookup of the contacts associated with the opportunities and then run the contact report for the lookup of contacts.

Other wise you would need to use a third party report editor such as the Durkin Impact Reports.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129