Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

COmpany email address (field)

CEM
Copper Contributor

COmpany email address (field)

Have looked high and low for info on this topic.

Would like to have a corporate email address in the Company View. When adding a COMPANY field, the email type is not available.

Companies have multiply emails addresses...i.e. info@company.com, sales@company.com,.

Right now I guess I have to IMPORT the company lists into COMPANY w/o the email addresses and then IMPORT the companies again this time as CLIENTS with the email addresses.

Why don't COMPANIES have an email address available as field type?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: COmpany email address (field)

This is because, in a Contact Manager, you deal with people ... you don't email a Company.

If you need to have generic addresses like sales@ or accounts@ create a new Contact (linked to the company if necessary) with contact name like "Accounts" and their email address.

Another option is creating the 2nd email address field in the Contact Record. Then, If a contact has both a personal address and also accounts@ put the 2nd address in the 2nd field. You can then send to either address and have the history recorded with their Contact Record

Unless you need to see all activity with a Company in the one place, you might find you don't need to use the Company records at all
CEM
Copper Contributor

"...This is because, in a Contact Manager, you deal with people ... you don't email a Company...."

Really? Never ever? So what I wrote about the info@company.com and sales@company.com has no importance? I have company records WITHOUT contact names with email addresses...just imported 344 of them, ALL with email addresses. I really didn't want to create a CONTACT record out of a COMPANY record that will eventually have CONTACTS attached.

Why create a COMPANY record if I am also going to create a CONTACT record out of a COMPANY? Makes no sense. Those COMPANY records will eventually have CONTACTS attached to them; therefore, I would like to have the COMPANY record created from the get go, along with the email it has.

If I want to email a company (and NOT a CONTACT)  why shouldn't the app I bought allow me that flexibility?

Your two points are obvious and were done years ago. I just figured that by now ACT! would allow the folks that buy their app the option of including an EMAIL for the company WITHOUT having to create a CONTACT RECORD. My email was asking if there wasn email option built in that I was missing.

This is simple: allow the choice of being able to create an email field for COMPANY records. Keep in mind that many contacts also have  the same email address: sales@abc.com is generic to the entire Sales Department, as might also be SERVICE@abc.com, ADMIN@abc.com...etc.

CEM
Copper Contributor

Forgot to mention that I aleady have 3 email fields for contacts: 2 personal and corporate.

Like I said, just creating an additional contact and putting in those generic email addresses should give you what you want.

The main reason to create Company records is so you can via Notes/Histories/Activities/SalesOps/etc for all the linked Contacts in the one place
CEM
Copper Contributor

Like I said, did that years ago and have been using it for those many years also.

Really like having to create a CONTACT and then a COMPANY record...2 for 1. Your comments are a band-aid covering up a deficiency.

Still want ACT! to allow email for COMPANY RECORD.

Well, it's largely a "religious" view that you communicate with contacts and not organisations.

You might post a request for this feature to be considered for a future version here -
http://community.act.com/t5/SHARE-YOUR-IDEAS/idb-p/ideas

Input from this web page goes directly into a database that management has direct access to read, and which they also track and gather statistics on. It also allows other users to vote on these so Sage can get an idea of the demand

This article might help word the request to make it easier for management to look at it:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2011/01/how-are-product-management-decisions.html

Bronze Elite Contributor

CEM

You are correct, Company records should be able to include email fields. But that's not all...

As a practising ACT! consultant  I see more demand from customers for this. However the need is more than just an email field, what is called for is a re-examination of how people want to use the Company entity. There are two circumstances that come to mind, both relate to record management and company focused audit trails;

• Where a trade organisation uses ACT! to manage professional registration of companies including sole traders as well as larger businesses. In this case the focus is on a registration number rather than the individual. Communications, such as email or letters are to the guardian of the registration number and the relationship is to the authorative body from that guardian, the contact person is secondary to that relationship. The guardian of that role may well change or even resign from the company, that's when complication arises, particularly where that indivdual moves to another company and takes up the same role in the new company.
  • Secondly where professionals such as lawyers, or accountants need to retain complete and enduring records (audit trails) of a relationship to the client company. The problem with the ACT! Company entity right now is that the link to and share with features are not intuitive, fail to retain the complete history including attachments AND the identity of the contact name that they relate to if the contact is unlinked and the name changed or even deleted. 

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

CEM
Copper Contributor

Re: Company email address (field)

Mike,

Have used (and suffered) through all ACT! "upgrades" since 1993, when I dumped Sales Ally and started to use ACT! (DOS). Back in the day, 4 of my suggestions were incorporated. Since then I am not aware that they respond to users requests. As a part time programer, you HAVE to listen to users.

I also have the great problem that ALL CONTACTS with birthdays have ANNUAL activities since their date of birth...in other words, 2,300 contacts  x average age of 40 x annual reminders...they can't be deleted manually as that woul take WAY too much time

Have already addressed this issue 4 times and the answer is "Call us...we'll do it".  What I am not liking is having to wade thru multi-level voice promts, explain issue to 4 support folks, and then have to hand-off my pc while they do their thing...and it is back again.

CEM
Copper Contributor

Thanks Graeme, for your input...kniw I wasn' the only NUT that needs emails in COMPANY RECORDS...and your USERS want it also?!?!? GREAT!.
Copy and Paste the suggestion from Mike...just to gauge their responses...as long as they are printable...